Students Survive Post Online Learning

Hannah Purkapile

We all remember how draining it was to be up at 6am for only two days a week. Many students have mentally and physically grown post online learning. With online learning SPASH teachers have seen a lot of students’ grades go down and has created an effect on SPASH education post online learning. Teachers and students are grateful to be back in person because of academic achievement, mental health, and more clear communication. 

Starting with grade improvement I talked to the Vice Principal of Stevens Point Area Senior High, Jen Melville. She explained to me how “we as a school district need to have in class learning especially after this pandemic affecting each students grades dramatically. SPASH is back in school five days a week which has brought strength in students’ education including sports.” Jen Melville has agreed most students’ grades have improved because they are dependent on the sport they play. When talking to a senior at SPASH, Liam O’Keefe, he explained that he felt it was easier to understand assignments teachers assigned each student when we were able to ask questions upfront and in person. Liam O’Keefe also implied “back when we were all online during November to January 2020 and attended virtual zoom classes, not many people showed up or put their cameras on to show they were paying attention.” 

This effect of not asking questions and being upfront made students and teachers’ mental health become draining. One of the Spanish teachers of SPASH, Ron Silva, explained to our class how hard it was for him to focus and help students when they wouldn’t respond to emails. Sr. Silva says “I don’t know how I am supposed to help my students without making a connection to them. Being face to face and learning how my students are as individuals makes teaching much more enjoyable and having this privilege taken away is difficult for my students and I.” The drive for students to fix their mentally health before focusing on their homework was an even bigger issue. Almost 33% of all students at SPASH have gone to therapy post online learning.  The intensity of anxiety and depression has gone up a notch, which makes the school day more grueling. 

Going back to school five days a week has brought many students to their senses, especially with communication to their teachers. More than 78% of students have started to increase their grades from talking to their teachers in person. Liam O’Keefe explained “I feel like now I don’t have to rely on an email to get help with a question on homework or try to wait for a zoom call meeting. Plus in math class I can watch the teacher explain the problem more hands on.” Many teachers want to be able to connect with their students and help them proceed with their education. Teachers know each student is able to pursue. 

Thankfully we are back in school five days a week. Now students have felt less drained and more educated with their work. Having a positive outlook on students with their academic achievements, mental health and communication have benefited students with not only becoming better students but by becoming better individuals all around.