The Mirror

The ACT is just around the corner

By RACHEL PLACEWAY

The ACT is an important test for high school juniors. The final score from the test can help students with their college admittance, scholarships, and potential jobs or internships.

The faculty at Stevens Point Area Senior High (SPASH) know how stressful preparing for the ACT can be for students. As a result, SPASH has provided students with many resources to help prepare for the ACT.

“With so many resources SPASH has to offer, I felt like I was prepared when the day of the test came,” senior Chloe Bancker said.

Many students who have taken the ACT come back to school wishing there had been more math assistance. As a result, SPASH has added new opportunities to help students improve their math skills.

Students interested in learning more strategies for the math section are encouraged to attend ACT lunch sessions every Tuesday from now until test day. Brooke Zimmer will be in room 1306 during fifth hour lunch and during sixth hour lunch Jen Bowling will be in room 1304.

Some teachers also spend time in their curriculum to practice specific types of problems relating to the ACT.

“It was really helpful when Mrs. Bowling gave us questions before the lessons that were formatted like the questions seen on the ACT,” Bancker said.

“The packet Mrs. Holmbeck gave us really helped to understand more of the types of questions the ACT will have,” senior Elle Schraufnagel said.

Teachers are great resources to improve strategies and skills and are willing to help.

In addition, SPASH offers resources students can use outside of school such as online and paper practice tests.

One free online website for students to use is Method Test Prep. Method Test Prep contains concepts and strategies for each section of the test.

Any SPASH student can access Method Test Prep and create their own account following directions on Counseling Office page.

Purchasing the Official ACT Prep Guide would be a better way for students who like the traditional paper and pencil method.

“I got an ACT prep book that I have been working through and I also have used some resources that teachers have given me, and I plan to use them more frequently as I get closer to the date of the test,” junior Emily Mathys said.

“Yes, the ACT is important, but don’t stress too much over it. It’s just a test, it doesn’t define who you are as a person,” Schraufnagel advised.

100 total views, 2 views today

9 Comments

9 Responses to “The ACT is just around the corner”

1. Justice Chukwuemeka on December 2nd, 2018 7:37 PM

Great article as always. My friends and I stay after school to take practice tests from the Method Test Prep site. I also have an ACT workbook that I have been studying and practicing. Hopefully, it all pays off.

2. Madison Rindahl on December 3rd, 2018 10:53 AM

Wow! Even though I am a senior and have already taken the ACT there was a ton of great information! I know that it is hard to prepare for the ACT because it is so much. But I would differently take advantage of the opportunities given to help study for it. Great work!

3. Bryant VanRossem on December 3rd, 2018 10:59 AM

I’m a junior this year and I think the extra help they provide is great. I know the test is going to challenging but i cant wait to take it. Great article.

4. Willow on December 3rd, 2018 11:00 AM

It is a great thing that the school has put together a session where students can go a practice the ACT. Wonderful article.

5. Maryann Silva on December 4th, 2018 8:46 AM

great article Rachel! I remember when I was a junior like it was just a last year. Ha. But I wish I would have used a lot of the resources that SPASH has to offer. Great job.

6. Hlee on December 4th, 2018 11:01 AM

The math portion of the ACT is really hard. The questions are worded weirdly and I find it to be really confusing. I took a practice ACT with Upward Bound and I scored 20 and 22s for the other while I got 16 for math and I don’t usually struggle in any of my math class. I’m so glad we have resources here to help us prepare for the ACT.

7. Soren Luther on December 4th, 2018 11:19 AM

The ACT is coming up and it is never too early to start to prepare for it. I should also start to practice so that I am ready. Keep up the great work!

8. Lauren Huebner on December 6th, 2018 10:53 AM

Very insightful article. I know some friends who could benefit from the resources you stated. What I don’t like about the ACT is how much it affect what college you can get into.

9. Aiden Price on December 6th, 2018 10:58 AM

I’m scared for this test but this helped me a lot to read. thank you

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community
The ACT is just around the corner