The Mirror

College made Possible

By JUSTICE CHUKWUEMEKA

College Possible is a non-profit organization for high school and college students. Founded by Jim McCorkell about 20 years ago in Minnesota, the program helps students get into and graduate from college by providing coaches who guide students throughout their higher education career.

McCorkell founded College Possible to encourage students and their families strive for college degrees. Now, College Possible is one of the largest college access and support programs in the nation.

College Possible has found its way to Stevens Point Area Senior High (SPASH). Some students that are in the program acknowledged how helpful the program is. A student said, “It helps us get into college and get scholarships, too.”

Ben Precourt of College Possible

Ben Precourt, a representative of College Possible for SPASH, helps students who are interested in going to college fill out applications.

“In a  lot of ways, the application mirrors that of colleges,” Precourt said. “By filling out the applications, students will start thinking about what the college application will look like,” he said.

College Possible has lots of ways for getting students ready for college such as ACT practices, financial aid help, and looking into a college of interest.

Precourt listed some of the requirements that qualify a student for the program.

“There is an academic requirement,” Precourt said. “Because we focus on four-year schools, we want to make sure that the students that are part of our program are going to have a strong possibility of being accepted to a four-year school.” Likewise, there is a financial eligibility requirement.

More information is available at College Possible

1,354 total views, 2 views today

9 Comments

9 Responses to “College made Possible”

1. Bryant VanRossem on October 15th, 2018 10:37 AM

This is really well written. I enjoyed reading this article very much and think that College Possible is a good idea. Keep up the good work with your articles.

2. Hlee on October 15th, 2018 10:42 AM

The quote was really well written and College Possible is really cool. I am still currently signing up for College Possible and Ben has been really helpful with the applications. I really recommend other students to sign up for it.

3. Aiden price on October 15th, 2018 10:43 AM

WOW! that is an amazing thing. I think I need to look into these guys!

4. Rachel Placeway on October 15th, 2018 10:43 AM

I didn’t know about this program. It was nice to read more about it and now I may use College Possible for my future endeavors.

5. Lauren Huebner on October 15th, 2018 10:52 AM

College Possible seems like a very helpful program. I found the article very informative.

6. Willow on October 15th, 2018 11:14 AM

I loved reading this article. It was well written and made me think about how much I need to look into this.

7. Madison Rindahl on October 15th, 2018 12:44 PM

Wow! Great job I had no idea College Possible was a thing. I think is it good for students to know what is out there for college help. College is very expensive and this article really opens doors for students.

8. Soren Luther on October 15th, 2018 7:16 PM

College Possible seems like a good way to help students think about college. I think there is a lot of confusion around understanding what college offers and how to apply for college and I think it’s good to have a program to help guide students through this process. Keep up the good work!

9. Maryann Silva on October 18th, 2018 8:54 AM

Very informational. I never knew about this before reading this article. Great job.

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community
College made Possible