The Mirror

Following the steps in this new math system

By MADISON RINDAHL

This year in Algebra Concepts Two a new system was created for the students. The students are the guinea pigs, will they be able to follow the steps of the new system?

Algebra Concepts is Algebra One split into two years. Last year, the structure of the class was simple. Half of the time the students did online math, the rest of the time they were taught as a class.

This year they have created a new system called Station Rotation. Every day the teacher divides the class into three equal groups and sets a timer for when students switch.

The station rotation was created so the students will be more engaged in class and take more responsibility.

Rebecca Johannes and Anne Panko are the Algebra Concept teachers. (Madison Rindahl photo)

“The training for this new system it took place in August and it was held in Milwaukee. The training was for two days,” math instructor Anne Panko said.

The training was very hands-on; they made sure the teachers knew how the system worked. The teachers got to run through it and try it for themselves. There are so many ways to teach this new system they were trying to get a feel for what is going to work and what won’t.

“The hard part about this new system is figuring out what kind of stations will work and how to implement them,” Panko said.

The students have been doing very well so far and are adjusting. A lot of the students enjoy it because it gets them moving and they don’t have to just stay in their desks the whole class time. It helps the students to go at their own pace but still have responsibilities.

“It helps the students become more responsible for the direction of their learning,” special education teacher Rebecca Johannes said.

It’s important for students to give feedback because it helps the teachers know what works for different students and it helps them reflect on how they are doing.

“Some positive aspects is that students are asking more questions and are picking things up very quickly. A negative would be that sometimes during the rotations it can get noisy and people get distracted. Other than that, it is going very well,” Johannes said.

212 total views, 2 views today

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Following the steps in this new math system”

1. Hlee on September 26th, 2018 11:00 AM

The new math system sounds interesting and engaging. I wonder if the math department will expand the use of the Station Rotation system to other math courses.

2. Maryann Silva on September 28th, 2018 8:42 AM

This seems like a great class. It kind of reminds me of the ALEKS program. Great job.

3. Soren Luther on September 30th, 2018 7:30 PM

It’s great to hear that teachers are trying new teaching methods. Hopefully this will help students be more productive and hopefully, other classes can also switch up their teaching systems.

4. Justice Chukwuemeka on October 1st, 2018 7:17 PM

The rotation system sounds good. It’s a good way to ensure that students are involved. Great article.

5. Rachel Placeway on October 4th, 2018 11:08 AM

I wasn’t aware of this change in the math system, but it seems like a great improvement. I like how the system keeps the students engaged and moving. That’s one aspect I think class need more of.

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community