The Mirror

Class gift officially delivered

The scratchboard artwork created for the Class of 2018

By KARA BATTAGLIA

The senior class officers just received the senior class gift from artist Melissa Mason, a 2008 SPASH graduate and astounding scratchboard artist.

Class officer Shea Casey said, “It was a really unique idea we thought hadn’t been done before and we are very impressed with her work. I think we are all pretty happy with the way our gift turned out, I think it will add a little to the school!”

Class advisor Carol Colby said, “I had Melissa in class and knew she was capable of doing something spectacular, so I mentioned her to the class officers.”

The senior gift is a scratchboard piece of a black panther. The artwork was unveiled to the entire class of 2018 on April 10, at the senior class meeting.

Mason said, “Thanks again everyone for making this happen. It is an honor to be part of your class gift!”

In some high schools, graduating classes traditionally make a donation to the school, with a plaque or sign, marking the gift for future generations to see.

Previous class gifts have been a memorial garden, bench, and display cases.

The senior class gifts get paid for by the proceeds from their junior prom. Some proceeds are left as startup money for future class reunions, as well as startup money for incoming sophomores for their homecoming.

In the three years Colby has been the class adviser, only the class officers have decided on the gift but Colby suggested, “…maybe they could have students submit ideas.”

SPASH graduate Melissa Mason presents her original artwork to class officers Brennan Mattmill, Noah Tolbert, Shea Casey, and Tanner Reed. Principal Jon Vollendorf also joined the students.

410 total views, 2 views today

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Class gift officially delivered”

1. Dylan Trigg on April 20th, 2018 12:14 PM

I really like the picture and it might be the best senior gift so far!

[Reply]

2. Tony Ludwig on April 20th, 2018 12:17 PM

I remember being at the assembly for this. The piece is truly amazing, and even more amazing considering it was done by a local artist.

[Reply]

3. Merita Mehmedi on April 20th, 2018 12:25 PM

This seems like a very special and interesting gift for SPASH and it looks like a lot of hard work was put into it. Do you know where this piece of art will be displayed at school so people can see it?

[Reply]

4. Alina Burmistrova on April 20th, 2018 12:26 PM

Honestly I really appreciate hard-working people, and Melissa Mason is not exception. It is a good project to donate your works for school. After students’ graduating, good memories remain thanks to this project. I like it. Good job!

[Reply]

5. Alyssa Schroeckenthaler on April 20th, 2018 12:45 PM

That picture is amazing! People who are so gifted in art always blow my mind. They can make things look so real that you question if it’s a drawing or a photo. I’m glad there are people who are good at art because I certainly am not good at art.

[Reply]

6. Hannah Siegel on April 20th, 2018 12:58 PM

I love this gift. Its really unique and different from everything we have so far… great addition to the school.

[Reply]

7. Hannah Gibbons on April 23rd, 2018 9:45 AM

That is such a cool picture! I’m really happy that our senior class was fortunate enough to receive this gift. I’m really glad you covered this story, because I knew nothing about this gift. I also loved the quotes, it really made the story pop!

[Reply]

8. Kacey Koch on April 23rd, 2018 12:27 PM

The class gift turned out so wonderful! Everyone was really impressed with Melissa’s work and I’m glad we will have that hung in our school forever.

[Reply]

9. Dylan Konicek on April 23rd, 2018 12:58 PM

I remember when they uncovered the picture at the class meeting and I was just speechless. What an amazing job she did on the picture

[Reply]

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community
Class gift officially delivered