Daily Dose

April 10, 2018

National NewsApril 10 was the Tuesday chosen for this year’s national Equal Pay Day. Equal Pay Day was originated by the National Committee of Pay Equity in 1996 as an awareness event to represent the pay gap between men and women. This year, April 10 was chosen to show how far into the year that women must work in order to earn what men earned in the previous year. Women, on average, are paid 20% less than men, and Black women and Latinas are paid even less. At its current pace of change, women will have to wait 100 years to earn the same pay as men, according to the American Association of University Women. The AAUW is encouraging supporters to use the hashtag #EqualPayDay to lend their voices to the cause. Supporters may also show support by wearing red to show how far women are “in the red” on equal pay. Lean In is another organization that works to raise awareness for the gender wage gap and is used to change the way people think about gender. There are over 36,000 Lean In circles in over 160 countries and 85% of members credit their circle with a positive change in their life.

State News: On April 10, Scott Walker signed a bill for new limits on welfare programs. This bill is only for people who really need welfare and that may not be able to obtain a job may be due to a disability.  Critics said that there are more cost-efficient ways to do this but it wouldn’t be as effective. Wisconsin is at an all-time low of a 2.9% unemployment rate and this bill intends to bring that down even more.  Governor Walker signed nine pieces of legislation all around the state to ensure that these families would get off of the street, one of them being that parents will require their kids between the age of six to 18 years of age to either get a job or job training otherwise they would lose their food stamps.  The requirements Governor Walker signed will cost roughly $79.7 million. In state and federal money when fully implemented.

Local news: Cutting 13 liberal arts majors has been suggested and outraged students of the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point decided to stage protests against that. On April 12, between 2 p.m. until 6 p.m., in Madison there will be a march of students for the Arts and Humanities around the campus perimeter. Protest organizer Mackenzie Madison said that this activity would help the administration to listen to youth opinions. Also on April 18 between  1:30 p.m. until 5 p.m. in Madison there will be one more protest activity. Students will march from the state Capitol building to the UW Board of Regents offices. There they will occupy the building and read letters and postcards from students and faculty.

SPASH news: On March 14, SPASH Student Senate held a change war called Pennies for Patients for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Funds raised will help research treatments, cures for blood cancers and help support families with blood cancer related medical bills. The goal was to raise a grand total of $1,000 by March 30, however, the final school donation total was $1,195.78 which surpassed the school goal. The top donating class was Jennifer Bowling’s 4th hour class. They will receive a pizza party this week and the principal or vice-principal will fill in for Bowling’s resource center for the day. Lastly, since the school goal was met, root beer floats will be provided during lunch periods this week.