The Mirror

Weighing in on the weight room

By KARA BATTAGLIA

SPASH received a new weight/fitness room in October of 2009 that is used by many students. Ministry Health Care in Stevens Point donated more than $500,000 to the new facility. It is an amazing, free space for physical education students and also student-athletes.

Before school until 7:35 the weight room is open for general lifting. Between 7:40 a.m. and 11:18 a.m. (1st through 4th hours), the weight room may be used by the physical education students to attain physical education goals under the supervision of physical education teachers so it is closed for general lifting.

General weight lifting can occur between 11:20 a.m. and 2:55 p.m. (5th through 8th hours) and after school between the hours of 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.

The SPASH fitness room is used by classes and teams.

Brett Ehr and Jack Kelly are two student-athletes who fully utilize the weight room every day. Both boys play football and baseball for SPASH and out of season love to come and pump some iron, mornings and after school.

“I like to stay in shape in the off-season so I don’t lose my endurance and keep getting stronger,” Ehr said.

“Working out in the mornings lets me get my own workout in and after school I do the football workouts with the team,” Kelly said.

Many physical education classes take place in the weight room including sculpt and tone, strength and conditioning, and advanced strength and conditioning which are all taught by DuWayne Behnke.

Students in these classes work up a great sweat with an organized workout plan from their teacher including benching and squatting.

456 total views, 2 views today

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Weighing in on the weight room”

1. Kacey Koch on March 8th, 2018 12:39 PM

Good information was given in this article! I’m glad that times were included for when you can use the room.

2. Hannah Siegel on March 8th, 2018 12:49 PM

This article was well written and it provided lots of information. I liked that you included the times it’s available and who uses it.

3. Alyssa Schroeckenthaler on March 8th, 2018 12:54 PM

The information was just right! People can read this if they want to know when they can and cannot use the weight room. I did not know that the Ministry donated $500,000. That is awesome!

4. Tony Ludwig on March 9th, 2018 12:32 PM

Nice topic. I’ve used the weight room for both athletics and personal training and I feel that this story is very relevant.

5. Alina Burmistrova on March 9th, 2018 12:46 PM

Honestly, I, studying at SPASH more than month, have knew about Fitness room only right now, so the article is really informative for me. Author included information about opening hours, it is really good, thanks.

6. Dylan Konicek on March 12th, 2018 12:25 PM

Great topic! you had some awesome info on the topic and it makes people sound welcome to the weight room.

7. Dylan Trigg on March 12th, 2018 12:35 PM

Good information and I liked how it incorporated the organizations that donated.

8. Hannah Gibbons on March 13th, 2018 12:36 PM

I thought this article was very helpful and informative for students that might not know much about the weight room. It’s also very encouraging for students and even staff to know they have a free place to workout when they want to get their sweat on.

9. Kaitlyn Kieleszewski on March 14th, 2018 2:20 PM

Great article! I love how the times the gym is open is provided so that everyone knows when they can use the gym and when they can’t.

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community
Weighing in on the weight room