The Mirror

SPASH weight room provides opportunity for students

Everybody dreams of achieving a long-term goal. The SPASH weight room allows students to reach those and feel better about themselves. Using the weight room clearly has many advantages to students. Students are in there, before and after school.

Before 2009, the so-called Stevens Point Area Senior High (SPASH) weight room consisted of three hand-built platforms in what is now known as the Multi-Purpose Room, next door to the current SPASH Strength and Fitness Center.

Then, St. Michael’s Ministry Foundation donated $500,000 to build the current weight room, along with $150,000 raised by Edith Mancheski, and another $100,000 donated by businesses, and individuals. It consists of 10 bench racks along with stationary bikes, dumbbell racks, treadmills, stair-steppers, and two multi-purpose machines.

Using this weight room provides opportunities to the many students who use it. Junior Xavier Klein said that it, “gives me a great opportunity to better myself with the many sports I participate in.”

Sophomore Austin Folan said, “It allows me to make improvements to myself and it helps me reach a long-term goal.”

Junior Ger Lor said, “It gives me an opportunity to relieve the stress and frustration that I have.” Stress is a big part of high school. With all the homework and the many classes that students have. Using the weight room to relieve stress and frustration is a common use I believe in.

Using the weight room clearly has many advantages to students. Students are in there, before and after school.

The SPASH weight room is open every day before and after school, as long as there is a staff member present.

258 total views, 2 views today