Wellness Trends of 2018

By KAITLYN HERMAN

Staying fit is a popular New Year’s resolution, but sometimes usual workout routines can get tiresome and boring. What are some ways that people have been staying fit this year and what are some new ways people will use to get fit going into next year?

This year many individuals got physically fit and well in many ways. Most high school students opt to participate in sports, which is very popular trend many students follow. Hannah Gibbons a Stevens Point Area Senior High school senior and member of the girls soccer team said that for her, “Fitness is not just about hitting the gym; it is also about an inner happiness and an overall well-being. Nowadays it’s hard to find true, genuine happiness. Some people turn to alcohol, drugs or even delinquent behavior. I workout to better myself not only physically, but mentally as well. Thanks to the girls soccer team and new friends at the gym, who’ve helped me accomplish my goals, and motivated me to be the best I can be.”

Caitriona Quirk, senior, and performer at The Dance Education Center, and member of the SPASH girls swim team says that she “chose to be a dancer and swimmer because of all the amazing benefits it gives me. From mental health to physical excellence, it’s something I love to do. I love to work hard five or more days a week to keep improving myself. I love the feeling of accomplishing my goals by dropping time in races or nailing a new move. My activities are a huge part of my routine and I wouldn’t change a thing.”

Next year the way you choose to stay healthy may differ from the way you did last year. You may choose to run or bike, but no matter how you stay fit it’s good to switch up your regimen.

Army style workouts are the new way to get “ripped.” No-pain-no-gain types are raring to get you fit. There are a cluster of fitness studios marketing misery, whether via military-influenced drills, gyms alluding to subhuman workouts, or a program based on a 9-by-6 prison cell. Though these workouts are painful and suck, most of these companies really value community. They want to see you succeed and get better every day.

One unique way to get fit, and to trace out all of your sore muscles is by doing hot yoga. According to the Mayo Clinic “Hot yoga is a vigorous form of yoga performed in a studio that is heated to 105 degrees Fahrenheit and has a humidity of 40 percent.” The formal name for hot yoga is Bikram yoga. The demanding nature of the poses and the heat are designed to raise your heart rate and tire your muscles. Because of its intensity and potential to cause heat-related illness, hot yoga isn’t for everyone. Check with your doctor before trying hot yoga.

Next year, there will be a lot of odd wellness activities that will become trendy. Cupping, a new trend that involves the ancient practice of suctioning circular sections of skin with glass cups to stimulate tissue and protein muscle healing. It became commonly recognized during the 2016 summer Olympics when Michael Phelps was seen with these strange red and purple suction marks on his shoulders.

Crystals are another quirky trend that has come into popularity. Specific crystals do specific things. Some help you heal, some help with blood flow, while some support creativity. It is an odd concept, but where you are and whatever you’re into, crystals will be a trend to stick due to their interesting nature.

Apitherapy has to be the weirdest trend of 2017. Apitherapy is the practice of using products derived from bees as medicine, including venom, honey, pollen, and royal jelly. An odd trend whose effects are said to be very beneficial. Apitherapy can use bee stings to treat skin conditions, rheumatoid arthritis, and even multiple sclerosis.

The most popular trend of 2017 and 2018 will be essential oils. Solutions infused with the scent of flowers is said to correct specific emotional imbalances from stress to sadness. Many patients suddenly feel uplifted, and relaxed. Whether or not their effectiveness is proven scientifically, they are cheaper than therapy and many people are faithful to the use of these oils.

If you are interested in local places in the Stevens Point Area that offer such trends, please see the following businesses below.

A swimming pool and gym can be located at the Stevens Point Area YMCA and Adventure 212.

Army Style Workouts and programs similar to this are offered at Fiternal Crossfit, Stevens Point Crossfit and F.I.R.E Fitness Camp.

Yoga classes can be found at Point Yoga, Body Mind Alchemy, and the Blooming Lotus Center in town.

Cupping is offered at Stevens Point Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine LLC.

Healing crystals and rocks can be purchased at The Blue Bead, in downtown Stevens Point.

Essential Oils can be purchased at the Stevens point Co-Op and The Nutrition Discount Center.