The Mirror

College tour available

By HLEE YANG

Visiting colleges is one of the most important things to do before graduating from high school. It is very important to know what to expect from the campus before enrolling in it.

This fall, there is going to be a college visit to the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire on Nov. 6. Students are recommended to pick up permission slips by the Career Center.

“I think it’s the most important thing a student can do in making a decision about where to attend,” Gina Jordan of the Career Center said.

There was a visit to the Wisconsin Education Fair on Tuesday, Oct. 9 at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point in Wausau. The Wisconsin Education Fair is just like the College Fair that the Stevens Point Area Senior High (SPASH) holds annually where representatives from colleges and technical colleges talk about their university.

The Career Center provides two college tours during the school year: one in the fall and one in the spring. They usually do tours in the fall and in the spring because it is a nice time for students to tour the campus. It’s also because it’s around the time when students start to decide which college to apply to. Last year, they visited the University of Wisconsin- Oshkosh and University of Wisconsin- La Crosse.

Usually, there are 30 students on the college trip. The students get a campus overview and tour the departments such as the Science Department and Art Department. The students get to see the dorm rooms and get a feel of what it’s like living in a dorm.

The representative(s) of the university will give an overall presentation about what the campus is like and the courses that they provide. They go over the tuitions, their requirements and what tutoring programs they have to help students.

An advantage of visiting colleges with the Career Center is that students only need to pay for their lunch which varies from college to college, but the highest so far is only $8. Students don’t have to pay for gas and they get a feel of the college campus. Another advantage is that students get to learn about the college enrollment requirements.

Although many may feel that college visits are for seniors only, that’s not true. Juniors and sophomores are encouraged to attend college visits, too. With an earlier start on visiting colleges, students will have more time to get an idea of the college they’d like to study at when it’s time for applications.

178 total views, 2 views today

8 Comments

8 Responses to “College tour available”

1. Aiden Price on October 15th, 2018 10:47 AM

I wish I could have gone to this. it looks like it was a very good thing to go to.

2. Rachel Placeway on October 15th, 2018 10:57 AM

I agree that college tours can be for underclassman, not just seniors. I started my college search early and I would recommend that for everyone thinking of pursuing a higher level of education after high school.

3. Bryant VanRossem on October 15th, 2018 11:09 AM

People should start looking into colleges sooner. it gives them more time and chances to visit and see more colleges. This article was really good and well written.

4. Lauren Huebner on October 15th, 2018 11:11 AM

I wish I had gone on the tour of UW-La Crosse last year. I am going to go on the tour of UW-Eau Claire. I do agree the earlier the better at looking at colleges.

5. Willow on October 15th, 2018 11:16 AM

I have talked to some people who had gone on this trip. I really wish I could have gone so I could have learned about the college and what they have to offer.

6. Justice Chukwuemeka on October 15th, 2018 11:16 AM

College tours are important. Right now I’m thinking about going to one with College Possible.

7. Madison Rindahl on October 15th, 2018 11:21 AM

Very well done! I think it is important to take the opportunities that SPASH provides. Great job and keep up the great work!

8. Soren Luther on October 15th, 2018 7:38 PM

It is good to know that there are opportunities out there in order to help students prepare for what college they want to go to. Often, I feel that opportunities like this aren’t taken advantage of. Hopefully, articles like these will help spread the word about these good events.

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community
College tour available