Konopacky offers advice for students

TIGIST FICKEN

The Mirror

What is your plan after high school? Are you a student who is uncertain what your life is going to be after high school?

Jill Konopacky, a statistics teacher at Stevens Point Areas Senior High School ( SPASH), says working hard will direct you to a successful path.

Born in Plover, Wisconsin Konopacky graduated from SPASH and later continued her educational route at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point  UWSP). After finishing college she decided upon a career as a math teacher and acquired her bachelor’s degree in math at the Marquette University in Milwaukee.

Like several students, Konopacky said she had no idea what she wanted to do after high school.  “Initially I was clueless. Then I decided to go to school for accounting but finally, I put my foot down and chose math.”

College is a big transition into adulthood and, unlike high school, a minimum effort is not going to pull you through. Konopacky knows the experience so her advice for high school students is to not be afraid to ask questions.   

As a  statistics teacher at SPASH Konopacky understands the course is a challenge for many students, and due to the difficulty, students may resist enrolling in the class.  

Konopacky believes all students should take an introduction to statistics class, acknowledging how strenuous the course gets at the college level. She said, “High school statistics provides you the basic background of what complex and in-depth statistics look like, and enrolling now can alleviate some of that stress you’ll face in college.”

Though teachers are not recognized often for their work, time, and the success of their students, Konopacky remains optimistic knowing she is providing vital tools for her students to prosper in life.

Learning varies for each individual and getting the information from teacher to student can be a struggle. Konopacky teaching offers the opportunity to reduce stress for students and create a fun learning environment. She said, “ the best aspect of teaching is when your students have the aha moments, where a problem makes sense and the stress is alleviated.”