What is the best high school in Wisconsin?

Lily Ackley

Have you ever wondered how SPASH compares to the best high schools in Wisconsin? The report cards come from the Department of Public Instruction. The report cards show the outcome of four priority areas for each school year. 

Kohler High School 

Kohler High School is the best high school in Wisconsin and is rated five stars. According to https://apps2.dpi.wi.gov/reportcards/home, Kohler High School has 198 students enrolled in grades 9-12. The majority of the students are white which is 86.9%. The other races at the school are Asian which is 5.1%, Hispanic or Latino which is 4%, Two or more races which is 3%, and Native Hawiian or Pacific Islander which is 1%. The overall score is 94.8 which is based on achievement, growth, target group outcomes, and on track to graduation. The graduation rate is 100 and the chronic absenteeism is 95.5 which is when a kid misses 15 or more days of school. At Kohler High School there are 3% of students with disabilities and 3.5% that are economically disadvantaged. 

Whitefish Bay High School 

Just like Kohler High School, Whitefish Bay High School is one of the best high schools in Wisconsin and is also rated five stars. According to https://apps2.dpi.wi.gov/reportcards/home, Whitefish Bay High School has 984 students enrolled in grades 9-12. Just like Kohler High School the majority of the students are white which is 74.6%. The other races include Black or African American which is 7.3%, Asian which is 6.2%, two or more races which is 6.1%, and American Indian or Alaskan Native which is 0.1%. The overall score is 94.5 which is based on achievement, growth, target group outcomes, and on track to graduation. The graduation rate is 97.9 and chronic absenteeism is 95.5 which is a little bit lower than Kohler High School. At Whitefish Bay High School there are more kids with disabilities that are 7.1% and 1.7% are economically disadvantaged.

Stevens Point Area Senior High School 

Compared to the other two schools, Stevens Point Area Senior High School (SPASH) is rated two stars. According to https://apps2.dpi.wi.gov/reportcards/home, SPASH has 1,463 students enrolled in grades 10-12. Most of the students are white which is 84%. The other races include Asian which is 6%, Hispanic or Latino which is 4.4%, two or more races which is 3.2%, Black or African American which is 1.8%, American Indian or Alaskan Native which is 0.3%, and Native Hawiian or Pacific Islander which is 0.1%. The overall score is significantly lower compared to the other two schools and is 57.0. The graduation rate is 96.1 and the chronic absenteeism is 78.8 which is worse than the other two schools also. At SPASH there are 3% of students with disabilities and 35.4% that are economically disadvantaged. 

After all it seems that the school does worse as there are more students with disabilities and come from families that are economically disadvantaged. The school also does better when there are not as many students absent.