Long E-Learning

Trenton Wood

Stevens Point Area School District Data Dashboard

As you read this, you are probably in the process of doing E-learning with the Asynchronous and Synchronous schedule for school. You are no longer seeing friends, meeting with coaches, or talking with teachers. We are all split up. 

In December students will be at home on Google Meet calls for twenty minutes each class.  The school day will start at nine and then ends a little earlier at one-fifteen pm, which would be earlier than ending school at three like in-person school. During the school day online students are expected to join the google meets calls and be there on time. This is because the staff  wants to be able to help out the students more and not let anyone get behind in school.

The reason for the school having twenty minute classes on Google Meets is to make it better for students doing their work and the teachers can help the students if they need help at all and can also go one on one later on in the day. One of the reasons for going online was because it is stressful for the teachers, students and even parents. Some of the things that were stressful for the students was getting loaded with homework and not being able to do their elective classes and failing other classes because of one class. As a high schooler having to deal with school, work, and sports is a very hard thing to fit into your schedule, while getting a lot of work. Going to fully online classes until the end of 2020 is a good choice by the district to help out the students, teachers and parents. 

The second reason that SPASH is moving to online is because they want everyone’s health to stay well and not get worse by getting the virus. This year alone in SPASH there was a total of 7 confirmed cases in SPASH with three being students and the other four being teachers at the school. The active percentage of cases in SPASH is 0.4%.- School Dashboard on the SPASH website. Some students will dislike the schedule during E-learning.  because it might affect them when they get their work done later, rather than having it done right away. Then there will be some students that will like the new schedule and get more help than they would usually ask for in class, instead of one on one. But, I am still glad that we at least get to come to school a few days a week¨. What this means is that she hasn’t really liked school this year and likes the talking to other people and coming to school because of that, but she is also happy that we at least can come to school.

Some students will dislike the schedule during E-learning.  because it might affect them when they get their work done later, rather than having it done right away. Then there will be some students that will like the new schedule and get more help than they would usually ask for in class, instead of one on one. 

I was able to interview a student from SPASH and I had asked her a few questions. Emily Hansen a senior attending spash was able to help me out with some information and how she feels about moving to online. The first question, I asked was how she felt this year and she replied, ¨I don’t really enjoy school this year. I have always enjoyed the social aspect of coming to school, and I don’t like not having that. But, I am still glad that we at least get to come to school a few days a week¨. What this means is that she hasn’t really liked school this year and likes the talking to other people and coming to school because of that, but she is also happy that we at least can come to school.   The second question, I had asked was if she liked or disliked moving to e-learning from thanksgiving break to the end of 2020. Emily had said ¨I am not really excited to have to do all e-learning for the upcoming months. I think it’s going to be difficult to keep up with all of my classes and keep my motivation going without physically being in class¨. One of the last questions I had asked her was ¨Will this E-Learning impact her learning this year and if so how?¨. The response I was given was ¨I definitely think that this time of long e-learning will negatively impact my learning because I feel that personally, I do not learn well by just watching online videos and doing online assignments. I am definitely the type of student that needs to be in physical class to help me learn¨. 

In conclusion this long e-learning has many effects on students at SPASH and as well for teachers good or bad. By having a chance outside of school and going online this will make it mostly easier for most students to get more help outside of class and understand what they are doing in class.