A place out of this world

By LAUREN HUEBNER

Galaxy Comics is a one-stop shop for comics, card games, darts and more.

Chris Randazzo opened the store in April 2007. He initially worked at Galaxy Hobby in Plover. When the owner wanted to sell the store, he offered it to Chris. Instead of selling Chris the whole store he sold him half of it, “It was kind of impossible to pass up the opportunity to work for myself,” Chris said.

Located downtown 925 Clark St, Stevens Point, WI 54481, the store is home to many regulars. People from all walks of life can be found in Galaxy Comics. High school students, college kids, and adults can be seen enjoying the calm atmosphere of the place. One reason they keep coming back is the food.

Around two years ago Chris added a café to the store. “I used to literally hear from folks ‘the only reason I leave is to eat’” Chis said. The café serves soups, paninis, and BBQ brisket. All of the food served is made in store, no frozen patties. They make their own twelve-hour braised brisket and their own stock for soups.

Just like in the name they sell comics, but primarily they sell different card games like Magic: The Gathering and board games like Through the Ages. They also sell different books and dice for Dungeons and Dragons (D&D).

Every Wednesday is Comic Book Wednesday where the new comics of the week are put on display for purchase. If someone is a comic enthusiast, Chris can hold the comics they want. They store them in a personal folder, and people can come in and purchase them anytime.

Galaxy also hosts miniature board game competitions. On Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays they run Magic: The Gathering tournaments. D&D night or Adventurers League is Tuesday nights. For that night alone they can have 20 to 30 people in the store.

One thing Chris has noticed is that “geek culture is everywhere.” Liking comics or playing D&D has become more acceptable.

“If you don’t fit in at a game store, it’s you. Gamers generally are the most accepting crowd you’re going to find,” Chris said.

9 Responses to “A place out of this world”

1. Hlee on January 9th, 2019 11:50 AM

OH MY GOSH!!! I didn’t know we have anything like this in town. I’m not as big of a fan of comics as much as anime, but this is definitely a place I’d like to visit!

2. Bryant VanRossem on January 10th, 2019 10:49 AM

Galaxy comics is a really cool place. I have been there a few time and always enjoyed it. They have such a wide variety of stuff it’s really cool. Great article

3. Rachel Placeway on January 10th, 2019 10:51 AM

Galaxy Comics sounds like it has a great atmosphere for all ages and I think that is very important. I think it’s super cool that there is cafe right in the store that makes all of the food fresh for everyday.

4. Soren Luther on January 10th, 2019 10:52 AM

Great job on your article! I haven’t been to Galaxy Comics that much, but it seems like a pretty cool place to spend an afternoon! Keep up the great work!

5. Willow Kluck on January 10th, 2019 11:11 AM

Sounds like a great place to check out, not just for the food but also the atmosphere. You did great with this article and have a lot of great detail of what happens or things that are there. I surely am going to have to check it out soon.

6. Madison Rindahl on January 10th, 2019 4:26 PM

I have never heard of Galaxy Comics before but it sounds cool. There was good information about the store and things they have added to it. Thanks for the article keep up the good work.

7. Maryann Silva on January 11th, 2019 8:54 AM

I never heard of this place before reading this!! It seems like a cool place to go. If I was more into comics and D&D I would definitely be here 24/7. Great job Lauren.

8. Aiden Price on January 11th, 2019 10:29 AM

Definitely one of my favorite places in the whole town. I love going to Galaxy no matter what, for a game, comic, or Adventures League. This article is really good for talking about Galaxy and explains it very well.

9. Justice Chukwuemeka on January 11th, 2019 10:59 AM

I wonder if the have Yu-gi-oh cards. I love playing Yu-gi-oh. Anyway, the article is superb.

A place out of this world