A great place to eat in a small town

By WILLOW KLUCK

Junction City, Wisconsin, a small village with a population of just over 400 people. One of the great places in the small town is a local bar called Mike and Betsy’s Hiawatha Bar and Grill or as the locals simply call it, The Hiawatha. The Hiawatha is a local bar that so many folks pay a visit to, whether they live in the area or are just passing through.

When someone says “bar”, everyone thinks of alcohol. Well, The Hiawatha does have alcohol but, they also have games and a jukebox for kids. Some of the most popular games at The Hiawatha are the pinball machine and the Big Buck Hunter Pro game.

Many families bring their kids with them when visiting. While the adults are talking to locals and sharing stories, the kids are always running back and forth asking their parents for money to play the games. One of the most recent additions is the claw game. The toys in the claw game are very diverse and so much fun to play.

The kids are not the only ones who have fun at The Hiawatha. Adults have so much to do, from a small handful of casino games to talking with friends. The Hiawatha also has TVs for sports games or NASCAR races along with horseshoe tournaments in the spring and summer.

Another thing The Hiawatha has is the great homemade food along with specials. Some of the best specials are the Wednesday 12 piece chicken and two sides or the Friday fish fry. They have a wide variety of sandwiches as well, from hamburgers to the Side Track or The Hobo. They also have a different soup every day.

“My grandma is disabled so it is always hard for us to feed her and the rest of the family. On Fridays, my mom orders enough fish fries from The Hiawatha for everyone. Mom then goes and gets the food as the rest of the family gathers at grandma’s house where we eat together,” 11-year old, Alena Duda said.

The food is not the only thing that makes The Hiawatha special. The people and staff members are great, too. So many people love coming to The Hiawatha just to talk or celebrate. Many birthday parties have been thrown there throughout the years.

The Hiawatha Bar has been around since 2004 and is a single location business. One fun fact about The Hiawatha bar is that it was named after a train that stopped at what was once a train station. The train was dubbed as Hiawatha – North Woods Section. The train station is no longer standing, however, the steps of where it still remains visible.

“One of the best memories I have ever had before I was divorced, was when my family would all go down to The Hiawatha bar after a long day of haying. We would all go there, eat and drink before all going home to sleep and getting up the next day to do even more haying,” Elizabeth Bonnstetter said.

“My favorite memory is after a long day of hunting and successfully shooting a deer, the kids and I would all head down to The Hiawatha Bar to get the deer tagged, show off, and to get a drink after a successful day,” Darren Kluck said.

The Hiawatha Bar is located in a small town but so many people know about it or have been there. It is a special place where people and families gather to eat, talk, and celebrate.

9 Responses to “A great place to eat in a small town”

1. Maryann Silva on January 9th, 2019 8:52 AM

I’ve never heard of Mike and Betsy’s Hiawatha Bar and Grill. That seems like an awesome place. I hope one day I can visit there! Great job Willow.

2. Aiden Price on January 9th, 2019 10:51 AM

I’ve never been to this bar. but it sounds amazing, Maby I should take my family to go eat there some time. Would be a fun time I bet.

3. Hlee on January 9th, 2019 11:01 AM

The Hiawatha sounds like a very heart-warming place where families and friends gather around for a nice, cozy dinner. I would love to go there someday and try the Friday fish fry, it sounds really good.

4. Bryant Vanrossem on January 9th, 2019 11:10 AM

That sounds like a great place. It sounds very nice and enjoyable to go. Great article.

5. Rachel Placeway on January 9th, 2019 11:23 AM

I have passed The Hiawatha Bar so many times during my drive to Junction City, but I have never eaten there. After hearing what it has to offer I will definitely have to put it on my list of restaurants to visit.

6. Soren Luther on January 10th, 2019 11:01 AM

The Hiawatha seems like a pretty cool place! Bars and restaurants that incorporate a community, fun food and games usually are the best. Good job on your article and keep up the great work!

7. Madison Rindahl on January 10th, 2019 4:14 PM

It awesome to know about another great place to go eat! The origin of the name is very interesting and is a very cool fact. I love know things like that because it adds character to the building. Great job!

8. Lauren Huebner on January 11th, 2019 8:10 AM

It sounds like a nice place to eat. Good job with quotes, they add to the story. I might have to try the fish fry someday.

9. Justice Chukwuemeka on January 11th, 2019 10:45 AM

I have not been to the bar yet. It seems like an interesting place for families to get together and have fun eating. Great article Willow.

A great place to eat in a small town