LGBT adoption should be protected

By LAUREN HUEBNER

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) people face discrimination in almost everything they do. One place discrimination occurs is the adoption process.

According to the Bureau of Consular Affairs, only 4,714, of the over 100,000 children needing adoption were adopted in 2017. Do we want to limit the number of people who save these children?

Adoption is already a laborious process, but for LGBT people the process is even more complicated. They have to jump through hoops to find an agency that will let them adopt. Just like heterosexual couples if they are not married, only one parent will be the child’s legal guardian.

This causes problems if one parent dies. The living parent might not be able to keep the child. I find this unacceptable.

In May of 2017 Texas proposed a law allowing adoption services to prohibit LGBT people from adopting on the basis of religion. The proposal would be for federally funded facilities.

As of right now, the proposal is still under debate, but others states have passed similar laws. Laws such as these should not be allowed. They are homophobic and is limiting the options of where LGBT people can adopt from, thus limiting the number of children being adopted.

People who are LGBT are often told they won’t be able to provide the “traditional family.” However, what is a traditional family? In the Christian Bible, it is a man and his wife. What about people whose spouse dies, or get divorced. Are they not a family?

Why should someone else’s religion affect them? If they want to adopt why deny them? I feel kids who grow up with LGBT parents are stronger individuals who will be more accepting of others. Yes, they might face discrimination as children, but they can learn from it. As a member of the LGBT community, I have faced discrimination and hatred. However, I can’t let it bother me. I have to move forward with my life.

Children who might have two mothers or two fathers won’t be without love and affection. They won’t be missing out what a “traditional family” can provide. They still have two loving parents but of the same gender.

8 Responses to “LGBT adoption should be protected”

1. Madison Rindahl on November 14th, 2018 11:11 AM

Good information and well written. Keep up the good work and can’t wait to read more!

2. Rachel Placeway on November 14th, 2018 8:09 PM

I totally agree with your point that it should not matter if a homosexual couple want to adopt. Overall I thought the article was very well written.

3. Soren Luther on November 16th, 2018 10:45 AM

Great job on your article! I think you proved many good points on why LGBT adoption should be protected. We are all people and we all should have the same rights. Why should a family that can provide love and happiness for a child be discriminated against?

4. Willow on November 16th, 2018 10:53 AM

Great article. It was well written and I support LGBT adoption.

5. Hlee on November 16th, 2018 11:01 AM

I agree these laws shouldn’t be passed nor should they exist at all. Religions are created to spread love, not hatred and why should someone’s religion limit others.

6. Bryant VanRossem on November 16th, 2018 11:02 AM

Great job on your article. It was very well written and a good topic write about.

7. Justice Chukwuemeka on November 16th, 2018 11:48 AM

Good article. Got a lot of information from that. Love it. Keep it up!

8. Maryann Silva on November 19th, 2018 7:26 AM

Wow! Great job. I never knew about this. I enjoyed reading it. It was very clear and strong to understand. Good job.

LGBT adoption should be protected