Future Educators Club debuts

By MARYANN SILVA

A new club at Stevens Point Area Senior High (SPASH) called Future Educators Club is in progress. Members meet every other Thursday. The first meeting was on Sept. 27.

The club president is senior Alex Hutkowski. She created this club and got it approved last school year in June.

Alex Hutkowski

“SPASH’s Future Educators Club is about providing insight and new opportunities to those interested in or curious about the education field as well as recognizing our extraordinary staff at SPASH and helping our community through education,” Hutkowski said.

Anyone can join even if they aren’t sure about going into the education field. The next meeting is Oct. 11 and Oct. 25 and will take place in room 1320 at 3:15.

“I decided to start the club because although SPASH does have a club and/or class for almost any career, they are lacking in the teaching area. I also feel teaching is one of the most important careers and wanted to start a club that gave my peers who admire the career as much as me the opportunity to grow and learn,” Hutkowski said.

The club advisor is Brooke Zimmer, a SPASH math teacher.  The club does not yet have a page on the SPASH website since it is so new.

One of the activities this club offers is teacher appreciation. Every month the club members will vote for a teacher of the month. They will also participate in bake sales, Salvation Army bell ringing during the winter and be able to job shadow.

“My advice is to give it a shot. I realized last year I have a passion for helping people and teaching is the way I am going to do it and by giving the club a try, you may just find that passion, too,” Hutkowski said.

9 Responses to “Future Educators Club debuts”

1. Aiden Price on October 15th, 2018 10:39 AM

Being honest I didn’t know about this club, but now I do and I know that it’s very important, glad I now know it. Thanks

2. Rachel Placeway on October 15th, 2018 10:51 AM

I didn’t really know what the Future Educators Club actually did, but this article pointed out very well what the club does. It sounds like a great club for those interested in pursuing a career in education.

3. Hlee on October 15th, 2018 10:56 AM

Nicely written story, I really like how you have a lot of quotes explaining the importance of the club. It sounds like a really good club for anyone who’s interested in the education career to join.

4. Willow on October 15th, 2018 10:58 AM

There are a lot of direct quotes. It is well written and it sounds like a fun club.

5. Bryant VanRossem on October 15th, 2018 11:04 AM

This is really well written. I enjoyed reading this article very much and think that this club is a good idea. Keep up the good work with your articles.

6. Lauren Huebner on October 15th, 2018 11:05 AM

I didn’t know there was a club for people interested in the education field.

7. Justice Chukwuemeka on October 15th, 2018 11:12 AM

Great article. It’s good to know that students appreciate their teachers.

8. Madison Rindahl on October 15th, 2018 11:14 AM

I didn’t know about the Future Educators Club until the read this article. It gave me great information on what it is all about and the student response on what they do was nice to hear. This club seems very inviting and welcoming and it definitely got in interested in it.

9. Soren Luther on October 15th, 2018 7:26 PM

This seems like an interesting and unique club. There seems to be a lack of appreciation for the teaching field and this club seems like a good way to bring awareness to teaching and the teachers at SPASH. Keep up the good work, Maryann!

Future Educators Club debuts