The Mirror

Smith goes extra mile for students

By AIDEN PRICE

There are a lot of teachers in Stevens Point Area Senior High (SPASH) who are always ready to help students. Someone who is always ready to help is Carissa Smith.

Before Smith came here she worked at a group home. Unfortunately, she didn’t like that job that much and left that job to work at SPASH. She has been working here for two years.

Smith is a Creativity Lab teacher, which is a study hall for students who have a harder time learning. When she is not helping in Creativity Lab she is a co-teacher in Creative Expression in Writing with Sheng Yang. The last thing that Smith does is teach Level Literacy Intervention (LLI) which is a reading class for people who need a little bit more help.

Smith graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (UWSP) with a bachelor’s in psychology in 2015. She’s working on her master’s degree in education from St. Mary’s University in Minnesota and hopes to finish in five years.

308 total views, 2 views today

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Smith goes extra mile for students”

1. Bryant VanRossem on September 26th, 2018 10:50 AM

I never met Ms. Smith before but she sounds like a good teacher.

2. Willow on September 26th, 2018 10:51 AM

Miss Smith is a wonderful teacher. She is super helpful and this article definitely shows that. I always love working with her.

3. Rachel Placeway on September 26th, 2018 10:53 AM

I liked how you included a little bit of Smith’s background information. However, I feel like it could be a little longer with more information.

4. Soren Luther on September 26th, 2018 11:00 AM

This is a good story explaining the life of a teacher right here at SPASH. I think it’s cool that you talked about this and I also think that there should be more recognition for teachers at SPASH. Keep up the great work!

5. Maryann Silva on September 26th, 2018 11:05 AM

Good article, I remember Creative Writing and it was always so fun. Great article! Seems like a great teacher.

6. Madison Rindahl on September 26th, 2018 11:06 AM

Thanks for the great information on Ms. Smith. I think it’s great what she does to help out kids that need the extra help.

7. Lauren Huebner on September 26th, 2018 11:17 AM

I wonder why she didn’t like working at the group home. It is interesting that she has a degree in psychology but is teaching English.

8. Justice Chukwuemeka on October 2nd, 2018 10:47 AM

Nice little bit information about Smith but more information could be better.

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community
Smith goes extra mile for students