Cultural Festival exhibits the influential cultures of Portage County

By MANUEL LUPERCIO

The Portage County Cultural Festival is a one-day annual festival that attracts approximately 10,000 people of all ages and cultural backgrounds to Stevens Point Area Senior High School (SPASH).

There were plenty of things to go around whether it was eating the one-dollar samplers from different food vendors, watching cultural performances, taking language lessons, buying and or making native crafts, or visiting different stations to learn about the various cultures represented.

This year the cultural festival brought back the very popular WABA! (Wildy-Amazing Bite-Sized Appetizers) from around the world, for just one dollar each. This program lets guests try sampler items from stations that chose to participate. It was a great way for people to try food from many different stations at very little cost. This was a great program, as people tend to avoid trying something new if it is a full dish for fear they won’t like it and may waste money.

There were six performance areas for various acts to highlight their represented culture. All but one of the stages’ sound equipment came from Soundworks Systems Inc. and were run by SPASH’s Stage Crew who provided their own equipment for the last stage. Performances ranged from puppet shows, dances, to playing live music. The acts came from countries as diverse as India to Canada, proving that this festival really brings in a wide range of cultures.

Student Brendan Bostic said, “I think all the dances I saw had a very good interpretation of their culture and getting to see how it was portrayed to others was a really neat experience.”

Another authentically unique feature of the festival was using some of the school’s classrooms for people to learn a little bit of a new language! This was a marvelous feature as it provided guests the opportunity to learn some of the native languages of select cultures.

Booths from various cultures were set up around the fest to showcase native crafts, clothing, toys, and instruments. Each station had amazing representatives who were always eager to share more about their culture. There was also an area where kids could make crafts to take home with them. It was a neat experience to see how happy they were after they made their select craft.

Student volunteer Peyton Kowalski said, “I love going to the Cultural Fest! It is a time when everyone stops all of the hate and discrimination and appreciates all of our differences. Our city is able to witness the wonder and beauty of the diverse cultures in Portage County. I always help with the kid’s section of Culture Fest and help with the crafts. The kids get so excited and love every single minute of it. I think my favorite part of Culture Fest is walking under all of the flags in the hall in the morning. Volunteers have to be at SPASH at around 8 a.m. I love walking around the empty halls and looking at all of the different flags of the different countries.”

This festival is one of the greatest ways to learn a ton of information on the local cultures within Portage County.

9 Responses to “Cultural Festival exhibits the influential cultures of Portage County”

1. Kacey Koch on May 21st, 2018 12:36 PM

Sadly, this year I wasn’t able to go to the Cultural Festival. It’s always such a great event though!

2. Will Carroll on May 21st, 2018 12:39 PM

This was really well written, and I’m glad a piece was written on the cultural festival.

3. Tony Ludwig on May 21st, 2018 12:41 PM

I wasn’t able to make it out to the Cultural Festival this year. It’s always nice to see that Portage County is more diverse than we think.

4. Kara Battaglia on May 21st, 2018 12:42 PM

Good explanation of the Cultural Festival! I’m glad you got a quote from a volunteer and went into detail about what all is offered at the event!

5. Dylan Konicek on May 21st, 2018 12:45 PM

I did not go to the cultural festival unfortunately but I have in the past and it is very cool with all of the different cultures and the food and other stuff

6. Hannah Siegel on May 21st, 2018 12:52 PM

I sadly wasn’t able to go to the cultural festival this year but it was a lot of fun in previous years, there’s so much to do and experience

7. Alyssa Schroeckenthaler on May 21st, 2018 12:53 PM

I went this year for the first time in a very long time. It was so much fun being able to try all the food and see all the different cultures. I still think it’s super cool that we have a cultural festival this big right at our own school.

8. Alina Burmistrova on May 21st, 2018 12:56 PM

I was not able to visit Cultural Fest, unfortunately. But thanks to this article, I found out a lot about that event I missed. The article is written very well, to my mind

9. Alina Burmistrova on May 21st, 2018 12:58 PM

I was not able to visit Cultural Fest, unfortunately. But thanks to this article I found out a lot about the event I missed. To my mind, it is written very well

Cultural Festival exhibits the influential cultures of Portage County