Matt Heilman living his eternal life

By DYLAN KONICEK

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018, we lost someone amazing. Matthew Heilman was a football coach and teacher who had died due to complications after surgery. Heilman will be missed by all in the Stevens Point and Green Bay area but most of all his parents Beverly and Dan Heilman, brother, Ben Heilman, his dog and best buddy Dozer, and many other family and friends.

Heilman graduated from Green Bay Southwest High School in 1999 and then attended St. Norbert College in De Pere. For the last 10 years, he worked for the Stevens Point Area School District as a social studies teacher and coached SPASH football, which he loved very much.

Heilman loved football, basketball, baseball, golf, and WWE. His favorite teams were the Packers, the Bucks, the Brewers, and the Badgers. You can tell he only loved the teams close to home.

“Mr. Heilman was truly one in a million. I’m not a huge fan of history and he knew that from the first day I was in his class. He was able to make each lesson relatable and interesting for me. I’ve never had a teacher care for his students as much as he did. I wish I would have told him how thankful I am for him the last time I saw him.  I’m blessed to have known such an influential man. I will miss passing him every day and seeing his smiling face. I will live every day just as he would, with a smile on my face. God gained a true angel on March 20. He will be missed forever,” said a senior at SPASH.

“Every day, before my statistics class, I would see Mr. Heilman in the hallway. Each day we would both exchange a hello and a smile. You couldn’t tell if he was having a good or bad day, because he would always have the same bright smile on his face. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to have Mr. Heilman as a teacher. One thing that I noticed about Mr. Heilman was that he truly cared about each and every one of his students. Whether they were outgoing, shy, athletic, artistic, it didn’t matter to him, because everyone was a somebody in his classroom. During basketball season, Mr. Heilman would always ask how the team is looking and how I was doing personally. It meant so much to me that a teacher cared about my outside hobbies and interests. His passion for teaching and helping students was shown every day in the classroom. I am forever grateful for the relationship and student to teacher connection that I gained with Mr. Heilman. He will be missed at SPASH and in the Stevens Point community,” said senior Maggie Negaard.