The Mirror

Don’t Go Break’n My Heart SPASH Showtime 2018

By MANUEL LUPERCIO

Showtime is an annual event hosted by SPASH’s choir and music department. This year Showtime will be held Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, May 3 through May 6; Tickets this year will be available at Jim Laabs Music, for general admission and reserved seating, and Heid Music for general admission starting April 14, and in front of the auditorium at SPASH from 11:30 to 1:00 starting April 23. They are also available at the door, just before each show.

Showtime and choir director Deb Pionek, who was in Showtime in its debut production in 1979, has been working hard with her choir students for their big group acts as well as helping all of the other acts that will be in the show.

The co-directors are Dena Mercer and Kinden Vazquez.  There are 85 choir students in the show.  The choirs are accompanied by SPASH Band students, under the direction of Brad Schmidt.

Technical director Bryant Hedrington and lighting technician Ben Hellenbrand have already been hard at work assisting SPASH’s stage crew in providing a great show for the acts to perform in and for everyone to see. Kasey Hedrington is the assistant technician. All of these individuals are SPASH alumni.

Choreographer Rachel Wadina, who is a senior at SPASH, said, “it’s super fun yet very difficult! It’s interesting to work with both of the choirs and put them together in the bigger pieces and see how it all comes together.” Wadina said it’s fulfilling “to see that everyone enjoys what they’re doing and executes it very well with no dance experience. Working with 60 high schoolers can be very overwhelming, but it’s wonderful to know that I’m a part of the group. Last year I was unable to be in Showtime because I had my dance recital the same weekend. To make up for the grade I choreographed the show. I think that because Mrs. P and Mrs. [Dena] Mercer liked it so much they asked me to do it again! Plus I love doing it, and it’s a great experience for me.”

Noah Tolbert, who is a senior in the choir, said, “Showtime has always been a unique experience,” adding “choir kids get to put together something that’s our own and bring it to life on stage.

“I’ve had some amazing experiences with Showtime. This is my last year doing it, and honestly, I’m a bit sad but, at the same time, I’m glad that I’m going out on a high note with so much good to remember.”

SPASH Showtime has been going on for over three decades and every year it provides SPASH students with a fun and exciting experience to be a part of whether they’re singing, helping direct acts to their spots behind the curtain, working sound or lights, playing instruments for the singers, or choreographing some of the acts. There’s a place for everyone who wants to get involved to do so.

800 total views, 2 views today

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Don’t Go Break’n My Heart SPASH Showtime 2018”

1. Dylan Trigg on April 20th, 2018 12:26 PM

The club seems super cool. I would want to see a show after reading this.

2. Hannah Siegel on April 20th, 2018 12:33 PM

This was a good article, it was written well and provided all the necessary information. It answered all my questions and I loved the variety of quotes. I never knew a student choreographed their dances.

3. Alyssa Schroeckenthaler on April 20th, 2018 12:34 PM

I haven’t been to showtime in awhile. Last time I went, my brother was still in high school and he was stage crew manager that year. I remember how cool it was and the production value was really great! The songs and the performances were both entertaining and well put together.

4. Tony Ludwig on April 20th, 2018 12:43 PM

I have seen Showtime every year since 2015, I’m very excited for this year.

5. Hannah Gibbons on April 23rd, 2018 10:01 AM

I’ve gone to the showtime performances since I was in eighth grade, and I’ve never been disappointed. I’m really excited for the show this year, and it’s always a treat to see all my friends perform on stage. I really enjoyed reading this piece, and I enjoyed your quotes.

6. Alina Burmistrova on April 23rd, 2018 11:47 AM

I’ve never heard about this event at SPASH therefore this article is so informative for me. Reading that, I can say it’s pretty fun 🙂

7. Kacey Koch on April 23rd, 2018 12:24 PM

I’ve been a drummer for Showtime since my Sophomore year and it’s true how much work is put into the show. I’m excited to see how well we can put it together for everyone!

8. Dylan Konicek on April 23rd, 2018 12:35 PM

I never really thought about going to Showtime but it seems very interesting after reading about it

9. Will on April 23rd, 2018 12:43 PM

Showtime is always pretty cool, but such a big production with a focus on music makes me wish that there was still a SPASH battle of the bands, and less choir focused musical acts.

10. Kara on April 23rd, 2018 12:44 PM

I have never been to showtime but have always wanted to attend! It seems very fun and interesting! I always hear amazing things about it and how well the choir students do. Good job going into depth about the topic.

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community