The Mirror

Are high school students being worked too hard?

By DYLAN KONICEK

High xchool can be a very stressful time for a lot of students, but I don’t think most students know what the actual purpose is for all of the work that is given to us.  I would say that the main purpose behind all of the work we get is to prepare us for what college will offer us.

I personally do not think we get as much work in some classes as we should because quite frankly in college you will have more work with less time to do it and a lot of students won’t be prepared when that happens.

English teacher Amanda Sweet had some definite ideas about this issue

“I do not think that high school students are getting worked too hard. I do think that the social demands and the cultural shift due to technology have changed how high school students cope with a workload.

“I would also say that students have more of a demand in the community, extracurricular, family (at home), and in their own workplaces which has made it harder for them to complete work.”

Sweet added, “I would say the biggest issue with work completion and time though is being distracted by technology. I am finding that many students simply do not use their time wisely in class or outside of class.”

There are some solutions to this. It seems that the main cause of the problem is the amount of technology being used during the school day. Now either cut back the amount of technology being used or cut it completely.

“I have very high expectations for my students but am also flexible with deadlines. I understand that students have a lot going on and need some understanding. I think that they do need to be held accountable, but that we as teachers should have supports in place to help students succeed.” Sweet said.

502 total views, 2 views today

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Are high school students being worked too hard?”

1. Kacey Koch on April 2nd, 2018 12:27 PM

I definitely see that technology is a distraction from getting work done, I’m guilty of it. This article showed great points of view!

[Reply]

2. Hannah Siegel on April 2nd, 2018 12:27 PM

This was a good article, it was cool to get a teachers perspective on it.

[Reply]

3. Dylan Trigg on April 2nd, 2018 12:31 PM

It would have been nice to hear more from different people and get different views.

[Reply]

4. Kara on April 2nd, 2018 12:33 PM

Great job interviewing a teacher on this issue. I agree with you because college will have more work in a shorter period of time like you said. I also think that an advanced composition class should be mandatory because it helps with college writing.

[Reply]

5. Hannah Gibbons on April 2nd, 2018 12:38 PM

I think this was an interesting topic to cover. I enjoyed reading your article and what Ms. Sweet had to say; however, I would’ve liked to see opinions from both sides. Maybe a student’s opinion would provide more insight on the topic.

[Reply]

6. Alyssa Schroeckenthaler on April 2nd, 2018 12:39 PM

This was interesting. I agree with you that we don’t get as much work in some classes. I just think that people need to learn to find a balance when it comes to school and the rest of life. I don’t think people should be complaining that they have too much work to do if all they do is screw around and don’t use their time wisely. However, I don’t think teachers should just be giving busy work either. If they are going to assign something, it should have a purpose, not just take up time. I would’ve liked to see what other teachers thought of this too, but it’s cool that Miss Sweet had a lot to say. Also, I noticed that school was spelled with an x at the beginning, but that was unintentional obviously.

[Reply]

7. Alina Burmistrova on April 2nd, 2018 12:40 PM

I would like to say that article fully complies to the section “Opinion”. I liked information you provided. Also I can say that teacher who was interviewed is really talkative 😀

[Reply]

8. Tony Ludwig on April 2nd, 2018 12:41 PM

I think this is an article we all can relate to. I’m glad you wrote this! It’s nice being able to directly relate to an article.

[Reply]

9. Will on April 2nd, 2018 12:48 PM

I would’ve enjoyed if there would’ve perhaps been some interviews of more students, perhaps more than just one teacher as well.

[Reply]

10. Manuel Lupercio on April 2nd, 2018 12:52 PM

Great article there is a spelling error /”xchool”\ but otherwise, it is a pretty well wrote article that was great to read.

[Reply]

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community