The Mirror

From our Russian correspondent

"Hello my name is Alina"

“Hello my name is Alina”

By ALINA BURMISTROVA

My name is Alina and I am from Rostov-the-Great which is in the Yaroslavl region of Russia. I am an exchange student and during this semester I will live with Gargulak family. Within a week I became so close to them. They are more benevolent than you even imagine.

About 10 months ago there was an essay contest in which one winner could visit the US for several months. It seemed exciting so I decided to take a chance. I wrote a little essay which was liked by Americans so now I am here.

I think that my staying in the US will really help me to prepare for my main English exam next year and to enter a prestigious university in Russia.

There are so many different interesting classes at SPASH but I am taking following ones, American Literature, US History, Government & Politics, Writing for Publication, and Literature & Writing

To be honest it is really hard to studying these subjects because I do not speak English to perfection.

My family is not big, it consists of me, my parents, aunt, and two cousins. My mother’s name is Tatiana. She is auditor working in the administration of Rostov town. She is really kind and always wants to be helpful. My father, Boris, is a mechanic. Honestly, he has a really good sense of humor.   My aunt Margarita is good at cooking and sewing. I think the skills she has are very helpful. What about my cousins Sergey and Dmitry? These people spent all my childhood with me and I really appreciate It. They are so cheerful so I am never bored with them.

My family prefers spending free time outside to become more healthy and stronger.

Some months ago I got a guitar as a birthday present and when I have free time I study chords. It is not easy honestly. My favorite thing to do is learning different foreign languages but because of a lot of schoolwork I almost have no time to do this

After the 11th grade and after passing main exams I would like to enter a prestigious St. Petersburg University and study foreign languages. I know dreams will come true. The main thing is to work hard!

What pop culture things I like? To be honest, I am really a music lover. I cannot imagine my life without listening to music. It is like a part of me. Wherever I go, music always accompanies me. My favorite genres are pop and rock music. It sounds exciting, doesn’t it? When I have free time I prefer listening to Nickelback band songs. I hope that I will be able to see their concert someday.

I have been in the US for a week now and I realize that I really like how people relate to each other here. They are always ready to leave their business and to help you with something in a difficult moment. It is worthy of respect, honestly! Unfortunately, such people cannot always be met in Russia.

During these four months, I hope to learn customs and traditions of the country I am in.

402 total views, 2 views today

7 Comments

7 Responses to “From our Russian correspondent”

1. Hannah Gibbons on March 7th, 2018 1:05 PM

Hey Alina!
    I really enjoyed reading about your life outside of the US and where you come from. Russia is such a beautiful country, and I hope to visit it someday! When Ms. Colby first told us we’d be receiving an exchange student from Russia, I was really excited. Just like you, I love to learn about world culture and different languages. I also think it’s really cool that you play guitar, that takes some serious talent girl! Good for you. I hope you enjoy the rest of the school year, and make a lot of new memories here in Wisconsin. I look forward to getting to know you better and if you ever have a question, don’t be afraid to ask!

2. Kacey Koch on March 7th, 2018 1:10 PM

It’s always very interesting seeing how much a student gets out of coming to a new country! For someone like Alina, I find that this experience is very valuable and admire her hard work that I’ve seen her put into Writing for Publication.

3. Hannah Siegel on March 7th, 2018 1:12 PM

I loved reading this article, I liked how informative it was about you, Russia and your view of the US so far. I’m glad we’re in the same class together (writing for publications) and I can’t wait to get to know you better,

4. Alyssa Schroeckenthaler on March 8th, 2018 11:20 AM

Lovely article! It’s so nice to get to know more about you! I’m very excited for you that you got to come to the US. It’s also very exciting for all of us to get a foreign exchange student in our class! Also, I see you are a music lover. I love music too! Feel free to come talk to me anytime! Hope you continue to like it here!

5. Dylan Trigg on March 12th, 2018 12:45 PM

Though this was super cool to get to know you! I learned a lot and was very well written.

6. Kara on March 12th, 2018 12:58 PM

Very nice article Alina! It was good to get to know about your family and life in Russia! I am so glad I have you in one class!

7. Katie Hauer on March 14th, 2018 2:56 PM

I am always interested in what life is like outside of the USA, because I don’t get an accurate representation of it often. I hope your stay isn’t too difficult and I hope it is fun.

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community
From our Russian correspondent