The Mirror

Meeting to determine if ropes course will be re-built

By EMMA SCHULFER

Due to failed inspections this past spring the Stevens Point Area Senior High School outdoor ropes course will be taken down Monday, Oct 2.

There will be a meeting with the district’s Business Services Committee on Tuesday, Oct.3 regarding the course.It will take place at the Bliss Educational Services Center at 6:30 p.m.

Instructor Amy Steinmetz hopes the committee members will “learn about why the high ropes course is important to our students, school and curriculum. They are going to be asked to financially support the construction of a new course.  We will have students, both current and former, giving testimonials to the impact and educational benefits of participating on the course. We are very grateful for the opportunity to meet with this committee to explain why this course is so important to us.”

Steinmetz said, “The course is used/has been used by Adventure Leadership students, Adventure Recreation students, SPASH Adventure Club, Wisconsin River Academy, Foods Bio courses, Alternative High School, numerous SPASH sports teams, UWSP Physical Education and Wellness majors, UWSP sports teams, Boy Scouts, local Catholic schools and more.”

Student Ryan Molle said, “I enjoy the course very much. It has taught me to face my fears and is a huge part of the class.”

Former student Eliza Schulfer said, “I remember when I completed my first element and feeling so proud of myself. The course gives you amazing opportunities to find yourself.”

402 total views, 2 views today