Event reflects national confusion

By FAITH LEMAY

On Nov. 28, 2016, a car ramming attack and mass stabbing occurred at 9:52 a.m. EST at Ohio State University (OSU)’s Watts Hall in Columbus, Ohio.

Abdul Razak Ali plowed his car into a crowd and stabbed people with a butcher knife before being shot dead by a police officer.

According to the chairman of the OSU Department of Materials Science and Engineering headquartered at Watts Hall, students told him that someone called in a fluorine leak in the building, which has lab facilities.

As required during emergencies, the students congregated in the courtyard outside the school building. Artan drove a Honda Civic, deliberately striking several pedestrians before crashing into a brick wall.

Two U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News there are no known contacts between Artan and ISIS or any other foreign terrorist organization.

Artan grew up in Somalia but left with his family in 2007, settling in Islamabad, Pakistan, according to law enforcement officials. According to Haroon Khan, who met Artan and his family when they lived in Pakistan, Artan completed an advanced program at a top high school. He prayed five times a day and played cricket.

After seven years in Pakistan, Artan, his mother and his siblings came to the U.S. as refugees. He was a student at Ohio State University and was a legal resident of the United States.

America is a country with many minorities living in it. There was a date that impacted the country in a significant way, 9/11.

On Sept. 11, 2001, American society was affected due to the terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers in New York City.

There were 3.3 million Muslims of all ages living in the United States in 2015, or about one percent of the total U.S. population, and not all of them are members of ISIS or terrorists.

By 2050, minorities will be the majority in America, and the number of residents older than 65 will more than double according to projections released by the U.S. Census Bureau. America will be a minority majority nation.

“Being a minority, in a societal and not mathematical context, in the United States (US) is not based on the number of people, but the opportunity. A minority is a person or group who, in comparison to the dominant group, have little control over positions of power, prestige and property,” is how Matthew Heilman, a Social Problems teacher at Stevens Point Are Senior High (SPASH) defines “minority.”

The pyramid of hate has five levels and it starts at the bottom. The first level is prejudicial attitudes such as name calling, accepting stereotypes and belittling jokes. Acts of prejudice is the second level; this can only happen if the first level is not stopped.