Senate members attend leadership conference

By KAYLA WIMME

Members of the Stevens Point Area Senior High Student Senate were given the opportunity to attend the Wisconsin Association of School Councils Fall Leadership Summit at the Dreyfus University Center at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point on Nov. 9.

This conference is made up of student councils from high schools in central Wisconsin that come together to discuss leadership skills. Each year it is hosted by a different school council. This year Marathon High School was in charge of running the event.

Kalyn Ford, a sophomore at SPASH said, “I go to leadership camp every summer, so I really like learning about these things. I think all of the schools coming together is just a great way to learn from others who are our age and have the same interests.”

The idea of the event is to teach and share different ways to connect the student body. Students were put into sectionals to participate in ice breakers and bonding activities. These different lessons were put on by the different student leaders of Marathon High School.

The keynote speaker at the event this year was Patrick Maurer. Maurer spoke about how people drift away from wanting to connect with people. He also talked about how when people are younger they would have the motivation and enthusiasm to get out and go to work or school and interact with others, but now something has changed.

Representing SPASH at the conference were Grace Belson, Liam Belson, Morgan Benton, Brynn Beversdorf, Olivia Clemens, Miranda Debot, Meghan Fletcher, Ford, Lexi Ford, Jared Kort, Isabella Kotarski, Tessa Kotarski, Sophie Salewske, Elle Schraufnagel, Dale Steinmetz and Mikayla Walsh. They were accompanied by advisor Nick Nugent.