School traditions add memories to the year

By KAYLA WIMME

Stevens Point Area Senior High has many school and student traditions.

Homecoming Week is filled traditions for students and staff including fun dress up days and different lunch activities.

One highlight is a competition for the senior boys called Mr. SPASH. Eighteen boys compete for the title of Mr. SPASH which it the equivalent to the title of homecoming king.

During the competition students, staff, and community members watch the contestants battle it out by dancing, singing and showing off their talents.

In addition, there is an annual powde rpuff game. Senior and junior women compete against each other on the football field.

Homecoming week is not the only time for tradition. During different sports seasons students often have a regular hangout place after the game.

During football season students go to Polito’s for their favorite slice of pizza, while during basketball season fans go to Applebee’s for their half off appetizer deal.

SPASH is very supportive of all of their sports teams.  Every time a team makes it to state or is going off to conference, students and staff take the time to recognize all of the members on each team.

They send off their teams with an introduction of each member and their part in the team. Then the school band plays a quick tune to get everyone excited and supportive.

After each graduation there is a celebration for the graduating class called Project Grad. At this event there is a magician, a ventriloquist, a poker station and many other activities.