Volunteer options available with service clubs

By NICOLE BREZINSKI

There are many options when picking what club or group to join while attending Stevens Point Area Senior High School (SPASH). Most volunteer based clubs set members up with numerous opportunities to help  the school or community through volunteer work.

Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) can provide peers with many options to lend a helping hand.

FCCLA has created care boxes full of kid’s toys to give to under privileged children. The club also provided returning military men and women, who are SPASH alumni a care box full of food and home supplies.

Students also have the option of joining the National Honor Society (NHS) if they obtained a grade point average of 3.6 or higher and have prior leadership and service experience.

“I want to go to a good four-year college and being accepted on NHS looks very good on college applications,” said Becky Kursewski one of the two year members of NHS.

When voted on NHS, members are given options to sign up for community work and help with homecoming week making all the designs, posters, and decorations.

Another club that would be interesting to join is Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) because students can learn about career opportunities and learn about quality health care while volunteering at the same time.

Teens can also join Student Senate and be very involved with the school. Student Senate helps peers of SPASH have enjoyable dances, events, and an easy school year. “Everyone should apply to be on the Student Senate team because it is always a fun and enjoyable work experience for everyone,” said Lizzie Kelly who is a current member of Student Senate.

Student Senate does numerous jobs like writing helpful quotes on the pavement for the first day of school to planning and working the next big school event.

Student Senate also has a huge contribution for homecoming week by creating decorations for the dance and making fun activities in between class hours.

If a student wants to be a leader of their class and help incoming teens, they can volunteer their time in becoming an ambassador.

Ambassadors lead new SPASH students around the school showing them where their classes are. In some cases, you may eat lunch with new students and create conversation with them to ease their nerves.

Key Club would be another great option when joining clubs at SPASH. Key Club is based just on various volunteer work.

In the past year Key Club has cleaned up trash along the highways, made tie blankets for retired military, helped with Festival of India, and was involved in Art in the Park.