Class of 2020s quarantine madness

Lionel Perkins

THE MIRROR

One of my favorite things to do is play sports with friends and stay active. Over the last couple of months everyone has been confined to their homes due to the coronavirus. Although it has only been a month or two, it feels as if it has been two years. Doing the same thing day after day gets very boring and stressful for a teenager and can lead to serious mischief.

Being stuck in the house with your family doesn’t seem like the worst thing in the world, but it turns out it is. Normally my family gets along quite well but over the quarantine everyone has developed a grudge for one another. My mom often is driven to near insanity every time she sees the kitchen and makes sure one of my siblings cleans it up immediately. My dad is stuck in the office at our house from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. on calls with his business partners as well as customers. He only makes three trips out usually and is greeted by my two little sisters in joyous fashion. I myself am either working or in the basement playing video games with my friends online. When I do come upstairs and see my mom I am reminded to get all my school work done constantly for my own benefit. Although this usually annoys me, I know she just wants the best for me.

Throughout the quarantine teens have been forced to stay in the house and have been stripped of many things. In my class of 2020 we missed out on a whole lacrosse season with state hopes this year. This might not seem like a big deal, but it hit the heart of many young athletes and ultimately stripped them of their senior season. Along with missing out on a season we have been forced to have a graduation ceremony in August. This might intrude with many soon to be college freshmen’s schedule, and might lead to a decrease in attendance altogether. All over the world people in my senior class will not be able to experience senior activities and this brings me great sadness, because they have worked their whole life to achieve those things.

SPASH student Patrick Houben was willing to give some of his thoughts. “The thought of never being able to take the field again hurts me, I’ve dedicated all three years of my high school career to this season in hopes of a state ring, and now there is no way possible at all. I have been forced to do classes online missing out on the senior year in-class experiences as well,” Houben said.

This unfortunate series of events was unpredictable and completely out of the general public’s hand. This being said there is no one to blame making the situation seem even more miserable. My personal condolences go out to all the families and students who have been affected in a negative way. But ultimately, we must stay positive, and I am looking forward to a great summer!

My name is Lionel Perkins, I am a senior at SPASH. I enjoy playing sports with my friends along with video games. I was born on 08/18/2001 making me 18 years old. I live with my two sisters, and Mom and Dad. We have a Great Dane -Great Pyrenes mix named Luna who sometimes gets mistaken for a horse.  I have many goals and hope to be able to accomplish them all!