The Rake-a-thon is on

By AIDEN PRICE

A holiday will soon be celebrated in the nation. It’s Make a Difference Day and it takes place on Oct. 27.

Millions of people in the nation will give back to their community, including Stevens Point. Groups will head to parks, buildings, or even people’s homes that need something done that will be challenging or cost money. The people then do whatever they have to, for free, so their community can be a happier place for everyone to live in.

Student Cecelia Kedrowski didn’t know about this day but after finding out said,  “It would be nice to give back to the community.”

Volunteers in Portage County will meet at PJ Jacobs Junior High at 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. where they will be given an assignment. Last year, 1000 people in Portage County signed up to volunteer and 150 to 160 lawns were raked.

Make a Difference Day began in 1992 and has inspired hundreds of thousands of people in the world to help out in their community. Make a Difference Day is funded from TEGNA, INC.

6 Responses to “The Rake-a-thon is on”

1. Justice Chukwuemeka on October 12th, 2018 10:38 AM

A good article. I am ready for Make a Difference Day. Always great to help your community.

2. Rachel Placeway on October 15th, 2018 10:47 AM

I liked how you added some of the history of Make a Difference Day. I was surprised by the amount of yards that were raked last year. I hope that number continues to increase.

3. Bryant VanRossem on October 15th, 2018 10:49 AM

Really good article

4. Hlee on October 15th, 2018 10:51 AM

I heard about it, but I didn’t really know much about what you’d do for the Make a Difference Day volunteer. This really helps me understand more about it.

5. Willow on October 15th, 2018 11:08 AM

I had heard about something like this. My work place had a flyer hung up about it. Many people appreciate this and what is done.

6. Soren Luther on October 15th, 2018 7:20 PM

Good job on this article, Aiden. I didn’t know about this day but it really seems like a great event. I think it’s wonderful to give back to others and help people out. The world would be a happier place if we did more things for each other. Maybe I’ll join this event!

The Rake-a-thon is on