The Mirror

Undemocratic demeanor steals the show

By TONY LUDWIG

Showtime. The ultimate display of SPASH student’s musical talent. Every year in late April or early May, the SPASH auditorium is vivified with their abilities and the subsequent awe and applause. Considering their importance, one may be surprised at the amount of input these students are barred from giving.

The show is directed by three staff members, each a hard working individual trying to do their best to ensure an enjoyable show. However, these efforts and the stress attributed to such roles can all too easily create a dictatorial and uncomfortable setting. Eventually, it affects the students, and what is meant to be a fun event soon turns into a part-time job.

The business place during work hours was a madhouse this year. If one took a small walk down the hall, they would have found a number of angry students, (many in the middle of a petty argument) upset students, and occasionally even students crying. The show proved to bring out the most extreme emotions of people, and thus, the toxicity present could be felt by a human hand. On the stage, overly critical directorial critiquing could be heard, followed closely by inaudible but perceptively angry murmuring.

Many of these students have gone through this for the past three years, saying the situation has very slightly gotten worse, and the power of student input has become less influential. One anonymous band student has voiced her thoughts. “They’ve started to do away with traditions, like including a rap song, and I think that’s what has most of the students upset. Especially because there’s nothing we can really do about it.”

In 2016, the traditional rap song was officially cut from the show by the directors. In response, at the end of the song “Two Step,” students banded together and quickly assembled to rap two minutes of Macklemore’s “Can’t Hold Us.” They called the song “Can’t Hold My Two Step.” I was in the audience at the time, and I didn’t notice anything too out of place. Of course, I wasn’t backstage where apparently, this fun, two-minute skit evoked words such as “betrayal.”

In response to “Can’t Hold My Two Step,” the directors created a contract for the students. By signing the contract, the student hereby signed their voice away and promised to not alter the show in any way. If broken, the student could face a ban from the show or even be kicked out of choir.

While I personally don’t believe in breaking rules to break them, I am a firm believer in challenging the unjust use of authority. Showtime has been around for longer than I have, and longer than any director has been at SPASH, and it has always been about going up on stage and having fun. No one wants to completely get rid of the directors’ control. In fact, most people can acknowledge the fact that the directors have an incredibly important role, students just want to have a little bit more influence in what has been dubbed, by the directors, to be  “the student show.”

428 total views, 2 views today

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Undemocratic demeanor steals the show”

1. Kara on May 11th, 2018 12:28 PM

Good article. Wow, I had no idea what goes on backstage during showtime! It sounds like some things need to get straightened out. Good job adding in quotes and going into detail.

[Reply]

2. Dylan Konicek on May 11th, 2018 12:29 PM

You had some really good info on the topic but I would have liked to see a quote from a student who performed in Showtime

[Reply]

3. Will Carroll on May 11th, 2018 12:33 PM

I agree completely, for events like this it should be mostly led by students who are participating vs staff. I also think this authority has bled over to other music related things. SPASH doesn’t have a Battle of the Bands anymore and there’s no way for non band or choir students to really participate in any SPASH music events, and it also builds a culture of band and choir kids seeing themselves as the only talent. This is really well written, good job

[Reply]

4. Alyssa Schroeckenthaler on May 11th, 2018 12:38 PM

I heard about so much drama that was happening in Showtime this year. I have friends that were in it saying how much of a trainwreck it was. I did not see it this year, but I know that a lot of the songs were slow and not very exciting. I did not know about the two-step thing. I think that was really brave of them. I can’t believe they had to sign a contract…I think that’s too much. When my brother was here at SPASH, Showtime was so different than it is now. I was so much more exciting, and the students basically ran it. I loved going to watch. But like you said, the student input level has gone down so much. Honestly, I’m kind of disappointed in what it has become.

[Reply]

5. Dylan Trigg on May 11th, 2018 12:39 PM

I personally have never seen any of the shows but some of my friends go and they all say that it is very good. I hope the students get some more voice and I think that the audience would like that too.

[Reply]

6. Kacey Koch on May 11th, 2018 12:56 PM

Because I have been in Showtime for the three years I know how crazy it was behind the scenes. I think they can definitely make some changes to the environment of Showtime. Good article! Could have had more quotes.

[Reply]

7. Hannah Siegel on May 11th, 2018 12:56 PM

I totally agree with you when you said students feel like its a part time job. I have multiple friends in it and all they do is complain about how bad it is and about the idea they have to improve it. I think it would be such a good idea if the students actually helped organize it, they are the ones preforming, so why not let them have some say.

[Reply]

8. Manuel Lupercio on May 11th, 2018 12:58 PM

I agree 100% I’ve been to every showtime since I was in sixth grade and you can tell that it has changed a lot over time. I remember my first showtime was super energetic and fun this year had a lot more calm/ indie type songs with a handful of energetic songs. The rap song used to always be my favorite as you could tell the students behind it loved the song and you could see that with their stage presence.

[Reply]

9. Alina Burmistrova on May 11th, 2018 2:11 PM

I’ve visited Showtime last Saturday and I got a lot of different emotions from it. I’ve never seen such talented students like them. The article is pretty interesting for me because I could read another opinion about important event of the year.

[Reply]

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community
Undemocratic demeanor steals the show