Freshen up your yard

By HANNAH GIBBONS

Living in Wisconsin can be rough, especially when it comes to the weather. Thanks to the recent increase of temperature, the majority of snow has melted. No snow means it’s time for the annual bedding plant sale held at the SPASH Greenhouse.

On Saturday, May 19, the SPASH horticultural class will be having their annual plant sale. From 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. annual packs, hanging baskets and vegetable plants will be for sale.

Since day one of the semester, students have been growing a variety of plants in the greenhouse. Students are expected to know the basics of each plant and any other type of question that may arise during the sale.

Kaitlyn Herman, a student of the horticultural class said, “I’m really excited for the sale! I didn’t even know horticultural was a class until the end of the first semester. I ended up dropping a class, just so I could take this one. I never really had any interest in plants before this class. I hope a lot of people come because we’ve worked really hard on maintaining the plants since day one.”

Horticultural, or commonly known as Garden and Landscaping class, is all about relating to the art or practice of garden cultivation and management. Students in grade 10 through 12 are allowed to take this course as a science elective and earn .5 of a credit since the class is only a semester long.

“I think most students took this course because they thought it’d be easy,” Nathaniel Taylor, another student. “However, those students had another thing coming. I can’t tell you how many nights I’ve stayed up studying my flashcards on all the different types of flowers there are. Let me tell you, there’s a lot.”

Although the weather has been dreary lately, that doesn’t mean your yard has to be. Stop by the annual plant sale on May 19 and pick up some colorful flowers to freshen up the yard.