The Mirror

Freshen up your yard

By HANNAH GIBBONS

Living in Wisconsin can be rough, especially when it comes to the weather. Thanks to the recent increase of temperature, the majority of snow has melted. No snow means it’s time for the annual bedding plant sale held at the SPASH Greenhouse.

On Saturday, May 19, the SPASH horticultural class will be having their annual plant sale. From 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. annual packs, hanging baskets and vegetable plants will be for sale.

Since day one of the semester, students have been growing a variety of plants in the greenhouse. Students are expected to know the basics of each plant and any other type of question that may arise during the sale.

Kaitlyn Herman, a student of the horticultural class said, “I’m really excited for the sale! I didn’t even know horticultural was a class until the end of the first semester. I ended up dropping a class, just so I could take this one. I never really had any interest in plants before this class. I hope a lot of people come because we’ve worked really hard on maintaining the plants since day one.”

Horticultural, or commonly known as Garden and Landscaping class, is all about relating to the art or practice of garden cultivation and management. Students in grade 10 through 12 are allowed to take this course as a science elective and earn .5 of a credit since the class is only a semester long.

“I think most students took this course because they thought it’d be easy,” Nathaniel Taylor, another student. “However, those students had another thing coming. I can’t tell you how many nights I’ve stayed up studying my flashcards on all the different types of flowers there are. Let me tell you, there’s a lot.”

Although the weather has been dreary lately, that doesn’t mean your yard has to be. Stop by the annual plant sale on May 19 and pick up some colorful flowers to freshen up the yard.

120 total views, 2 views today

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Freshen up your yard”

1. Dylan Trigg on May 11th, 2018 12:21 PM

I never knew this was a class either. I feel like it would be a unique class and I might be interested in taking it!

[Reply]

2. Kara on May 11th, 2018 12:23 PM

This was so great! I did not even know we had that class available at SPASH! Great job on getting the word out about the plant sale, I might stop by! I liked how you got quotes from students in the class.

[Reply]

3. Manuel Lupercio on May 11th, 2018 12:26 PM

I never knew there was a horticulture class! I’ve always wondered why we had a greenhouse and who kept it up. This was a very well written article about a topic I don’t believe many people know about which is great!

[Reply]

4. Tony Ludwig on May 11th, 2018 12:30 PM

My mom is super into plants/flowers. Maybe I’ve been given an idea for Mother’s Day.

[Reply]

5. Dylan Konicek on May 11th, 2018 12:35 PM

I had never heard of this before and I think it is a really neat idea. I loved your quotes and the info you had about it.

[Reply]

6. Will Carroll on May 11th, 2018 12:37 PM

I never knew there was a horticultural class. This was really informative and well written2

[Reply]

7. Hannah Siegel on May 11th, 2018 12:42 PM

I never knew this was a class, its sounds like a cool class if you are into plants and nature.

[Reply]

8. Alyssa Schroeckenthaler on May 11th, 2018 12:43 PM

This story was written so nicely! I never knew about this class either, but it sounds interesting. I’ll have to let my mom know about this sale since she’s the plant lover of our family.

[Reply]

9. Kacey Koch on May 11th, 2018 12:44 PM

I really liked reading this! I had no idea this was a class and maybe would’ve considered it if I would have known!

[Reply]

10. Alina Burmistrova on May 11th, 2018 1:13 PM

Honestly, I’ve never heard about horticultural class at SPASH before. And I can say that those students do things which are so useful as for their soul as for their yard. It is really hard work to grow different plants and to study them. I like this article.

[Reply]

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community
Freshen up your yard