Pack crafts a good draft

By KACEY KOCH

The long-awaited NFL Draft took place on April 26 to 29 in Arlington, Texas. In the draft, each team selects who they believe to be the best player to fit their needs to help them compete. Let’s just say, if the draft was a game, the Packers would’ve won.

The Packers, in order of rounds, picked up Jaire Alexander (CB), Josh Jackson (CB), Oren Burks (OLB), J’mon Moore (WR), Cole Madison (T), JK Scott (P), Marquez Valdes-Scantling (WR), Equanimeous St. Brown (WR), James Looney (DE), Hunter Bradley (LS), Kendall Donnerson (LB).

This year the Packers had most draft picks, with twelve, including the 14th overall. However, the New Orleans Saints, who at the time had the 27th overall pick, wanted a higher draft pick, and thus, the Packers and Saints made a trade. The Packers traded the 14th overall, a fifth-round pick, flip-flopped first round picks with the Saints, and gained the Saints’ first-round pick for 2019. Many Packer fans were upset with this choice.

Eventually, the Packers were able to trade with Seattle, receiving the 18th overall, as well as a seventh-round pick in exchange for Seattle’s third and sixth round pick. With the 18th overall pick, the Packers selected cornerback Alexander from Louisville. At this time, Packer fans began to realize that the front office did a great job, getting the guy they apparently wanted at 14th overall, while also receiving a first round pick for next year.

Alexander and Jackson, both CBs, are predicted to do very well for the Packers. Alexander has the lowest QB rating among all corners and Jackson had the most interceptions among all college corners.

Pro Football Focus, a popular grading site, gave the Packers an 82.2 out of 100 saying that their draft was elite.

10 Responses to “Pack crafts a good draft”

1. Hannah Siegel on May 11th, 2018 12:18 PM

This article has a lot of good information explaining the draft. I personally don’t really watch football so when I occasionally do I never know the people. This gave good background information on the new players

2. Dylan Trigg on May 11th, 2018 12:41 PM

I thought the information was very relevant and you covered everything you needed to. Nice article

3. Will Carroll on May 11th, 2018 12:44 PM

I don’t know much about football but this article did a pretty good job explaining the draft and what’s all going on

4. Hannah Gibbons on May 11th, 2018 12:47 PM

I wasn’t able to read or watch anything about the Packer’s draft; however, after reading this I’m very well informed. I think it was much more interesting to read this, than listen to it on the TV or radio when the hosts talk about other teams I don’t really care about.

5. Dylan Konicek on May 11th, 2018 12:51 PM

I had the chance to watch the draft when it was live and I loved watching every second of it. I go nuts over this kind of stuff. I thought that your article was really well written and that you had some really useful info on the topic. Nice work!

6. Alyssa Schroeckenthaler on May 11th, 2018 12:53 PM

This article was written really well. I don’t really watch football. I only do when my family does, but you provided a lot of good information.

7. Kara on May 11th, 2018 12:57 PM

This article is very informative! Great job Kacey. You explained it very well for people who may not be familiar with football. I am very excited for the Packers football season!

8. Tony Ludwig on May 11th, 2018 12:57 PM

I was incredibly hyped for the draft, and reading this article made my heart beat fast, remembering hearing Jaire Alexander’s name for the first time.

9. Manuel Lupercio on May 11th, 2018 12:59 PM

The draft is always fun to watch as its basically a big strategic picking. Teams will trade for players they want or trade away their spots if they feel they already have a solid team and do not need any other players.

10. Alina Burmistrova on May 11th, 2018 1:48 PM

It is so interesting to read about what is happening in other states of US. That, I have just read is something new for me. Article is very informative and clear

Navigate Right