The Mirror

It’s time to ACT

By HANNAH SIEGEL

On Feb. 27 students at Stevens Point Area Senior High (SPASH) took the ACT. The ACT, American College Testing Program, is a series of exams which are used for college admission in the United States. In 2016 Wisconsin passed an act getting rid of required standardized testing and replaced it with the ACT.

The ACT is used to measure students’ knowledge and skills in reading, language arts, mathematics and science.

“The ACT can be very stressful and it takes a lot of preparation. I started studying a month in advance because I was so worried, especially for the math and science section. Studying definitely helped and I’m glad I decided to study. I feel it took some of the pressure off,” junior Tolya Zutz said. “However, I do feel that the test is unnecessary and a test shouldn’t decide if you get into college or not.”

More tests are scheduled at SPASH on April 14 and June 9. Students who missed or would like to retake the ACT can go to act.org/ to preregister. Test dates, times, locations, etc. are provided when registering.

“We had excellent attendance this year, however, 13 juniors did miss the test. All juniors are required to take it, so these specific students can see me to register,” stated counselor Jennifer Reis.  “But students who wish to retake the test mush visit the ACT website.”

“When it comes to the ACTs almost all students retake it at least once,” Reis said. Students may retake the ACT as many times as they like, the

highest score is kept.

Resources are available for students who wish to improve their ACT scores.

3,452 total views, 2 views today

9 Comments

9 Responses to “It’s time to ACT”

1. Alyssa Schroeckenthaler on March 8th, 2018 12:24 PM

The information is very good and it answers questions that people may have. Also, I love this headline so much!

2. Kacey Koch on March 8th, 2018 12:29 PM

I loved the quotes in this article! I remember taking the ACT last year and how stressful it was. This piece gave a lot of good information regarding how to sign up and what to do if a date is missed.

3. Kara on March 8th, 2018 12:32 PM

Very good piece Hannah! This is very informing to those who are unsure what the ACT is all about, also good quotes!

4. Alina Burmistrova on March 8th, 2018 12:35 PM

Hello, Hannah! I’ve just read your article and I really liked it because I long wanted to know more about THE ACT. The article is very informative and full of different opinions about the test so it is interesting to read. How I can see, you, Hannah, really want to help those students who missed or would like to retake the ACT so you include information about web-site for preregistering. Good job!

5. Dylan Trigg on March 9th, 2018 12:14 PM

I LOVE THIS!!!! So awesome. Best one yet. Super cool. Please keep making more stories.

6. Dylan Konicek on March 9th, 2018 12:17 PM

good info and quotes about the ACT and peoples thoughts about it

7. Tony Ludwig on March 9th, 2018 12:38 PM

This was fun to read, I like your catchy title!

8. Hannah Gibbons on March 13th, 2018 12:49 PM

I enjoyed reading this article, even though the ACT can be a frustrating topic. The title is what caught me eye.

9. Hlee on September 4th, 2018 12:39 PM

I have to take the ACT this year and I am super nervous about it. Hopefully, I don’t do so bad and will definitely start studying a month ahead.

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community
It’s time to ACT