The Mirror

Does listening to music help you study?

By EMMA SCHULFER

Second quarter is underway and that means midterms and other tests are in the near future. Stevens Point Area High School (SPASH) students are starting to hit the books and get ready for finals.

Studying at times, can seem unbearable so some students turn on their favorite playlist and get to work. But is adding music to your study time helping or hurting you? Teachers and students often wondered whether listening to music is helping or hurting the student’s studying.

According to USA TODAY, “Music with lyrics is very likely to have a problematic effect when you’re writing or reading. Music has a profound impact on our state of being, altering everything from mood to heart rate. Imagine trying to learn something while you’re on a roller coaster.”

Elijah Strong said, “I like to listen to music while I’m studying because it keeps me focused, I mostly listen to rap, it keeps me energetic.”

As reported by Uloop, “Listening to music before studying or performing a task can be beneficial as it improves attention, memory, and even your ability to do mental math as well as helping lessen depression and anxiety. Many researchers, as well as students, who think listening to music helps memory have called the practice the ‘Mozart Effect.’ Of course, nowadays many students are not actually listening to Mozart, but pop or other music, so the effect may not be the same. These studies and researchers seem to indicate that music can actually help you study and those who listen to music while studying may actually be better off for it. However, there have also been several studies that have shown that music can actually have negative impacts on your studying effectiveness particularly when it comes to memorizing something in order.”

Studies show that instrumental music can be helpful while studying but is that what SPASH students are listening to?

Kylie Marchel said, “Listening to music helps block out all the distractions I typically would have without it. I don’t listen to a certain type of music just whatever comes on typically.”

Connor Mrozek said, “Music puts me in a productive mood, I get a lot more accomplished and stay on task. I tend to listen to country and pop.”

Meghan Debot said, “I enjoy music but not while I’m doing homework. It distracts me and I feel as if I’m not as productive as I could be.”

Math teacher Vieng Xiong said, “I think it’s useful if it helps students focus, but it’s not helpful if students get distracted.”

412 total views, 2 views today

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Does listening to music help you study?”

1. Hayden on December 14th, 2017 11:02 AM

I think Listening to music is a great thing to do when studying

[Reply]

2. Savannah Drake-Felton on December 14th, 2017 11:03 AM

Very well written article, it was interesting to read about this matter. It was very easy to read. and I liked the quotes.

[Reply]

3. Nathan on December 14th, 2017 11:03 AM

I really enjoyed this article. I agree with most things with what was said. I completely understand how listening to music with lyrics can be distracting for some and not distracting at all for others. I guess it really depends on who you are! Personally, I like listening to music while I study, but not all the time. I only listen to music once in a while so I don’t become dependent on it

[Reply]

4. Monty Flatoff on December 14th, 2017 11:05 AM

I listen to rap as well, but I don’t listen while I study because I get into the music and its all I can focus on. Otherwise, if I’m listening and doing something that doesn’t require a lot of attention I can usually be productive

[Reply]

5. Kevin Bean on December 14th, 2017 11:07 AM

I’d like to know how it affects your studying in simple ways.

[Reply]

6. Morgan Haga on December 14th, 2017 11:11 AM

Emma, I think that this is a useful topic. Many teachers do not allow students to listen to music while they are working. Me personally I need to have music to focus in the way that is needed. Thank you for researching this one.

[Reply]

7. Mason Meixner on December 14th, 2017 12:02 PM

For me, music is a big part of my life. I always have my playlist playing when I’m driving anywhere and I always stay up to date on the newest albums and songs coming out. I try to put my earbuds in during any worktime or freetime in school, but when the task is reading or writing an essay I’ve noticed it is harder to concentrate. I will choose my music over other music playing or other distracting noises when I have to work, though.

[Reply]

8. Madison Rindahl on December 14th, 2017 12:13 PM

I really like this article because I’ve tried to listen to music when I am doing work and it never seems to have helped me in the long run. I always seem to go off into la-la land and just start to focus more on the words then what I am supposed to be learning. I know that it doesn’t help me so I just don’t do it. But sometimes I do listen to classical. I think everybody should read this and think about if the music helps or just makes your life harder? Because you might like to listen but then you really might not understand what you just read. Don’t create more work for yourself.

[Reply]

9. Jessica Lange on December 14th, 2017 12:15 PM

I love music and listen to it when I study certain subjects. I have found that it is easier for me to listen to music when doing math homework than when writing a paper. Having too many sounds and words coming at me when I am trying to form my own words can definitely be distracting.

[Reply]

The Mirror intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Mirror does not allow anonymous comments, and The Mirror requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Reflections of the SPASH Community
Does listening to music help you study?