Does listening to music help you study?

By EMMA SCHULFER

Second quarter is underway and that means midterms and other tests are in the near future. Stevens Point Area High School (SPASH) students are starting to hit the books and get ready for finals.

Studying at times, can seem unbearable so some students turn on their favorite playlist and get to work. But is adding music to your study time helping or hurting you? Teachers and students often wondered whether listening to music is helping or hurting the student’s studying.

According to USA TODAY, “Music with lyrics is very likely to have a problematic effect when you’re writing or reading. Music has a profound impact on our state of being, altering everything from mood to heart rate. Imagine trying to learn something while you’re on a roller coaster.”

Elijah Strong said, “I like to listen to music while I’m studying because it keeps me focused, I mostly listen to rap, it keeps me energetic.”

As reported by Uloop, “Listening to music before studying or performing a task can be beneficial as it improves attention, memory, and even your ability to do mental math as well as helping lessen depression and anxiety. Many researchers, as well as students, who think listening to music helps memory have called the practice the ‘Mozart Effect.’ Of course, nowadays many students are not actually listening to Mozart, but pop or other music, so the effect may not be the same. These studies and researchers seem to indicate that music can actually help you study and those who listen to music while studying may actually be better off for it. However, there have also been several studies that have shown that music can actually have negative impacts on your studying effectiveness particularly when it comes to memorizing something in order.”

Studies show that instrumental music can be helpful while studying but is that what SPASH students are listening to?

Kylie Marchel said, “Listening to music helps block out all the distractions I typically would have without it. I don’t listen to a certain type of music just whatever comes on typically.”

Connor Mrozek said, “Music puts me in a productive mood, I get a lot more accomplished and stay on task. I tend to listen to country and pop.”

Meghan Debot said, “I enjoy music but not while I’m doing homework. It distracts me and I feel as if I’m not as productive as I could be.”

Math teacher Vieng Xiong said, “I think it’s useful if it helps students focus, but it’s not helpful if students get distracted.”