SPASH student to perform at awards show

By JAYNA SALVINSKI

The Tommy Awards is an annual awards show which will be held at the Overture Center to honor achievements by students involved in musical and theatre programs and will be held June 11, 2018.

Stevens Point Area High School student Theresa Yonash has been announced as an ensemble performer and will perform at the show. She said, “I found out about auditions through Ms. [Dena] Mercer and I knew I wanted to participate. It’s going to be held at The Grand Theatre in Wausau and we will be performing a musical theatre piece and learning a dance.”

Yonash and other performers will be able to build skills in singing, dancing, and acting over the remainder of the 2017-2018 while working with director Marshall DeLonay.

The awards show will recognize excellence in musical theatre by awarding students and honoring their communities.

Two performers will also move onto the National High School Musical Theatre Awards competition which is held in New York city.

Many awards will be given across a broad selection of categories such as outstanding musical, ensemble, orchestra, supporting performance, dance performance and many more.

The program, which started eight years ago, has grown considerably with 87 productions at 82 schools within 23 counties and with 85,000 total involved in the Tommy Awards. Over 400 students perform in the awards show.

Tickets will go on sale on May 22 for $25.