Presidential Election of 2016 was historic


The Mirror reporter

One of the most talked about elections of all time is the presidential election of 2016 between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. It’s the first time someone, without a political history ran for president and had a chance of winning.

Before the election, according to, Clinton had a 71.4 percent chance of winning while Trump had a 28.6 percent chance of winning. These numbers were created by looking at many polls to see who people are voting for.

On Nov. 8 voters went to the polls to determine the next president. Defying the odds, Trump came out on top.

It was also a rare election in the way that Trump won the presidency but not the popular vote. This has only happened four other times in history with John Quincy Adams, Rutherford B. Hayes, Benjamin Harrison and George W. Bush.

The popular vote was won by Clinton with 48 percent followed by Trump with 47 percent, Johnson with three percent and Stein with one percent. The electoral votes were won by Trump in a landslide with 306 electoral votes to Clinton’s 232.

“It just seemed like voters switched their minds once they got to the ballots. Prior to the election polls were showing an almost guaranteed win for Clinton,” Claire Girod said.

Trump was able to win over the votes of the swing states that won him the election. The states he won were Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa and Arizona.

These states were needed for Trump’s victory. Ohio, in the past years, has more often than not decided the president.

Maddie Fink said, “I think during this election it was hard to choose a candidate to vote for because both of the candidates spent most of their time in debates mudslinging not talking about the issues and how they will address them.”

Both candidates had negatives against one another like how Clinton highlighted what Trump has said about women and his non-release of tax returns while Trump claimed Clinton secretly leaked classified FBI emails.