Gap year might be good option for some

By CLAIRE DOERING

Around this time of year seniors in high school are applying for colleges. There is a lot of stress to figure out what to do after high school.  College is a very popular choice for most high school students but is there too much pressure to go to college?

It is ingrained in us since we were children that we must work hard in school and then go straight into college after high school. If you intend to become a doctor, lawyer or scientist then yes, you need to go to college. A degree is required for many entry-level jobs but there are jobs out there that don’t require a four-year degree.

College is expensive and it may not be worth the student debt loans for a career you want to go into.

Gap years are a popular choice in other countries. In Europe, many students take a semester or year off from academics. This usually occurs between the end of high school and the start of college. Students decide to take a year off for multiple reasons. This time of your life is a crucial time and most people don’t even know what they want to do with their life. A gap year helps young adults figure out their career path, gain life experience and personally grow.

For some students just keeping up with high school can be tough. Everyone is trying to work hard to have the best grades, be involved in sports, and have a job so they can save money for college. Stress and anxiety happens because of their fear of not being good enough to get into college.

Everyone is different and there shouldn’t just be one option after high school. We should realize what other options are out there and not judge anyone who ends up choosing a different route.